Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

PLEASE, keep dogs out of the backcountry!

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: PLEASE, keep dogs out of the backcountry!

Postby StevieTwoShoes » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Floyd wrote:But then again, wreckless drivers are no where near as much as a problem as dogs on a trail. (And I drive wrecklessly and hike with my off leash dog, but that's beside the point)

As a matter of fact, wreckless drivers are not a problem at all. It's the reckless ones you need to look out for.
Last edited by StevieTwoShoes on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education." -Wilson Mizner

Postby jrosie3 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:15 pm

if the backcountry is no place for animals, where is?

Postby FCSquid » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:15 pm

seekanddestroy99 wrote:I saw a three-legged dog come down from Missouri the other day. It's name was Remington and he was named after the shotgun that took his leg. It was probably one of the most incredible things I have ever seen: a peak-bagging three-legged dog. Also, my roommates dog pooped over the edge of the Sawtooth, which was also one of the most extreme things I've seen any living thing do. I wish I got it on film.

This thread is completely ridiculous. Thanks for giving me a good wake up during a hangover.

Boy, I'd hate to be crossing the waterfall below and get clobbered by some terminal-velocity recycled Alpo. :shock:
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

Postby fletchersteel » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:16 pm

FCSquid wrote:
seekanddestroy99 wrote:I saw a three-legged dog come down from Missouri the other day. It's name was Remington and he was named after the shotgun that took his leg. It was probably one of the most incredible things I have ever seen: a peak-bagging three-legged dog. Also, my roommates dog pooped over the edge of the Sawtooth, which was also one of the most extreme things I've seen any living thing do. I wish I got it on film.

This thread is completely ridiculous. Thanks for giving me a good wake up during a hangover.

Boy, I'd hate to be crossing the waterfall below and get clobbered by some terminal-velocity recycled Alpo. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him and leaving something of himself upon it." — Martin Conway

Postby drodriguez » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:17 pm

lindasmith wrote:Dogs in the backcountry, and on 14ers, are a nuisance. They chase the wildlife, make too much noise, sh*t all over, and insist on pushing their nose into my groin or licking my kids with their slobber. Please, please keep your dogs at home! You really can be alone, for a few hours, without your stupid pets!

Linda

My boxer is cleaner than your kids.
Runnin' down a dream that never would come to me...

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:17 pm

FCSquid wrote:

+1

Especially owning Great Danes...those things would do some damage.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:18 pm

England wrote:The comparision between children, and dogs in this forum is the most ridiculous thing I've every witnessed on this website!!! Real low-brow stuff there people.

Dude, lighten up . . . guess thats applicable to everyone
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby Teledon360 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:18 pm

well if Will Ferrell doesn't allow it as the anti dog lawyer Wade BlasingGame I don't think we should.

Check it out:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/61332/saturday-night-live-wade-blasingame#s-p3-st-i2

But seriously owners just respect other people and only bring your dog if it can obey you... and obey doesn't mean it knows its name.
But hey dogs are fun I bring mine almost every time. But she is under control.
"Be cautious around anyone who creates proselytizing followers." Micheal Chrichton

Postby fletchersteel » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:19 pm

aboynamedmargrette wrote:
FCSquid wrote:

+1

Especially owning Great Danes...those things would do some damage.

So.... That's what that red brain bucket is for. BUt, I'll have to buy some goggles now!
Last edited by fletchersteel on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him and leaving something of himself upon it." — Martin Conway

Postby speedyturtle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:19 pm

FCSquid wrote:

I've been crapped on by birds a couple of times, until I read the above, it would really ruin my day
"Ask for the ancient paths where the good way is; and walk in it and find rest for your souls." Part of Jeremiah 6:16

Postby England » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:24 pm

FCSquid wrote:... and freeking hilarious at the same time. Keep it up people! Happy hour's only 2 hours away ...

+1
J-RockandRockpile wrote:Dude, lighten up . . . guess thats applicable to everyone

+1 Yeah your right. That just got me a little excited.
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

Postby kmclimber » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:25 pm

This is the best thread I've read in awhile keep it going. =D> =D> =D> I personally love seeing dogs in the back country and can't wait to have my own dog someday that I can take hiking with me.

PreviousNext