Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

PLEASE, keep dogs out of the backcountry!

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: PLEASE, keep dogs out of the backcountry!

Postby BIO_KNEE » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:54 am

If you don’t like slobbering dogs in the backcountry you could always try slobbering mountain lions. I hear they like little kids just as much!

And something tells me your a cat person any who. #-o
"It is whom the meal is shared with, not what is eaten that makes it special." - Epicurus

Postby CorduroyCalves » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:56 am

mountainmicah83 wrote:
covfrrider wrote:Kids in the back country, and on 14ers, are a nuisance. They chase the wildlife, make too much noise, sh*t all over themselves, and insist on petting my dogs with their sticky hands. Please, please keep your kids at home! You really can be alone, for a few hours, without your stupid kids!

+1

I don't know for certain, but I believe kids can be taught the principles of LNT much easier than a dog can. As far as kids sh*tting on themselves, it sounds like covfrrider is speaking from personal experience--maybe he just doesn't know how to wipe.

I don't allow my kids to chase wildlife, nor do I let them pet dogs without asking permission to do so, which is what responsible parents do.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if I never saw another dog in the backcountry, but I don't have a problem with them as long as their owners are responsible.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby sunny1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:57 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Great thread! :mrgreen:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby covfrrider » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:58 am

CorduroyCalves wrote:
mountainmicah83 wrote:
covfrrider wrote:Kids in the back country, and on 14ers, are a nuisance. They chase the wildlife, make too much noise, sh*t all over themselves, and insist on petting my dogs with their sticky hands. Please, please keep your kids at home! You really can be alone, for a few hours, without your stupid kids!

+1

I don't know for certain, but I believe kids can be taught the principles of LNT much easier than a dog can. As far as kids sh*tting on themselves, it sounds like covfrrider is speaking from personal experience--maybe he just doesn't know how to wipe.

I don't allow my kids to chase wildlife, nor do I let them pet dogs without asking permission to do so, which is what responsible parents do.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if I never saw another dog in the backcountry, but I don't have a problem with them as long as their owners are responsible.

Oh, we can always count on Mr. Mikey to stir the pot... how's that pseudo neo-hippie lifestyle working out for you in Highlands Ranch? And wtf are you doing worrying about LNT... You don't climb 14ers, so how would you know if anyone left a trace?

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:01 am

cheeseburglar wrote:I don't understand the op. You have some sort of problem with groin licking?

Maybe I need to get a dog and a jar of peanut butter....

Postby pak » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:02 am

Wow - what a thread! For some reason I feel compelled to add a comment (I added this to the "Dog Rescue" thread as well).

I am not a dog owner, but I have climbed with people who are, and who have brought their dogs along. We all have our preferences in our backcountry experience, but many areas are multi-use. It seems a better approach to realize that others are entitled to their experience of the mountains as well.

MountainMicah - when we climbed Castle (in snow) your dog amazed me! Even though you helped him negotiate a class 3 move, I was fine having him along. BTW - I think I have a great picture of "Baz" on the summit.

Last Saturday I soloed the west face route of Snowmass - a couple was on the summit with their two dogs - again, I'm not a dog person, but I was fine with having them there.

Multi-use seems to be key; we all need to accept the choices of others, as long as they are legal. I do NOT condone illegal access or activities (as much as I'd like to take my mountain bike into some of the wilderness areas, it is illegal and therefore not acceptable).
Phil

Postby dumbsocrates » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:04 am

:cartman:

Postby fleetmack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:04 am

CorduroyCalves wrote:I wouldn't lose any sleep if I never saw another dog in the backcountry, but I don't have a problem with them as long as their owners are responsible.

well said
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby covfrrider » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:04 am

ezsuperkev wrote:Linda,

Considering you rudely peed on my leg as you ran up the switchbacks to Grays Peak, where do you get off on bashing dogs. You didn't even wipe afterwords. Your gonna get a nasty urinary tract infection. Your gross.

That is hilarious!

Postby sunny1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:07 am

ROTFLMAO!!
My boss is gonna think I'm nuts laughing in here by myself...

Chris Gerber wrote:
cheeseburglar wrote:I don't understand the op. You have some sort of problem with groin licking?

Maybe I need to get a dog and a jar of peanut butter....
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby Daniel Trugman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:08 am

Linda is being a kind soul. She doesn't give a damn about dogs; she is generously providing us with entertainment on a slow Friday. Thanks Linda!
"When mountains speak, wise men listen."
-- John Muir

Postby Chicalorado » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:09 am

My dog doesn't chase wildlife, doesn't bark, I clean up after him, and keep him away from people unless they approach him. Oh, and he is most likely a much more accomplished climber than you and he's only 1.5 years old. Way to introduce yourself to the community. Happy trails!
"There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone."
~Grateful Dead

"Please me have no regrets..."

PreviousNext