History of 14er Dogs

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtnduck9
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: History of 14er Dogs

Post by mtnduck9 »

j2theZ, you have a gorgeous dog. How long have you had her, we're thinking of picking up a Siberian!
J2TheZ
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by J2TheZ »

Thank you much, she will appreciate the compliment :D Anywho, I've had her since she was 8 weeks old. It's actually a decent story how I came to have her. I was out apartment hunting and stumbled upon a cute little furball with those crazy (at the time white) eyes. She was outside in about 90 deg. temps with no water or food tied to a bench. I pet her and went inside. The leasing agent asked me if I wanted another dog. I said I wanted a great dane eventually and she said ohh.... And begin to explain that she had bought the "little crapper" (referencing the puppy outside) for her daughter and that her daughter hated her. She went on to say that she also hated her, that she wouldn't shut up and was continually pissing in her house. She wanted to "cut her losses" and get rid of her for $100. I didn't want a husky at the time so I told her she would have no problem finding a home for her for $100. I proceeded with looking at the apartments and went to leave when the cracked out (literally) leasing agent chased me to my car and asked if I would take her for free because she wanted to be rid of her. I of course said yes, that I would find a good home for her. I went up to the lady's apartment to grab the dog's stuff. I met "the daughter" who was about 16 with two kids... Anyway, I was feeling better about bringing home a strange dog to my wife without permission in order to rescue her from the conditions she had been living in. I really intended on finding her another home but she found quite a special place in my heart so she stayed. She is almost 3 years old now and probably the coolest dog you could ask for. I know this is way more than you asked for so I will stop. I get a little passionate about some things and my dogs are one of those things. Anywho, thanks again and have a good one.
John
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

That is a cool story!!! I have two Siberians and they are great. One we got as a puppy and the first two years are hell!!! But then she became a wonderful dog!!! She has climbed 21 peaks with me to date. The other we just rescued at the age of 5. He is not as attached yet, but he is still a good dog.

I would warn you about the puppy years, they are hell on wheels, but they turn out pretty good after the first two years. They will never really listen to you as much as you might want them too, like a lab or retriever, and you will rarely be able to take them off leash, but I love them to death!!! With any dog, just know what you are getting into.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

My beagle-mix Okie has summitted 27 14ers now with 31 total summits. I won't take him on class 3 or above, and he seems a bit more tired after hikes than he was the last couple of years -- so he's probably closing in on (14er) retirement. He never has had any problems with his pads, though. He's not so great in a tent, but he's a great hiking companion. I just wish I didn't need to keep him on leash (he'd run after a bear if we encountered one).

He appears in several of my trip reports. Here he is on the descent of Columbia via Three Elk Creek last weekend:
Attachments
Okie after his latest conquest - Columbia
Okie after his latest conquest - Columbia
IMG_0528.JPG (214.58 KiB) Viewed 3116 times
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
glodder
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (22)

Post by glodder »

Great idea to write this book, Josh, and I also can't wait to read it. Good luck!

Interesting about the dog shoes... I didn't think about the pad issue and needing shoes until reading this.

Todd
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves." - Sir Edmund Hillary
life_elevated
Trip Reports (0)

Post by life_elevated »

This forum is years old....does anyone know what became of the book? or sawyer's journey? i would love to hear more about this...
Jim Davies
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Inky gave an update from August here.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Inky6900 »

For anyone interested in the progress of the book, it is coming along really well. Putting a book together is a monumental task that probably rivals nearly any of the difficulties that Soy and I encountered on the mountain. Creating this book, in many ways, hindered our progress on the peaks over the years because we had to get the best photos and often had to reclimb peaks just to get them. It would have been unacceptable to place photos in a book that looked amateur. Had we just marched up summits without any intent to document it for a book, we could have potentially finished years ago. Twice in our journey to climb all the 14ers, we had to start all over from square one (going back to the first mountain) solely because the way the book was going with photos was not working. Both times it was a major setback that in the end, I believe, is well worth it.

As far as how the book itself is going, I'm doing this in a way that totally goes against the grain. Most folks write everything and hand off their story to a publisher who then tweaks, edits and designs their book. In many cases the author/writer has limited input on the layout and design. In my case I'm a professional graphic designer, and this whole thing is being created on my home computer. I have written, designed, illustrated and photographed nearly everything in the book. The section "The History of 14er Dogs" is really the only section that others have contributed photos and information.

I am working on this about 3 or 4 days per week for several hours at a time. Some days I spend up to 8 hours. It is hard working all day at work (10 hour days) as a designer, staring at computer screen, to come home and do it again. My goal is to have my end of things done by June 2012. This means the book (hopefully) will be print ready by then. At that point I can decide if I can come up with the funds to self publish or if I will go the traditional route and let a publisher print it. Again, that may delay things substantially. I do not know though.

Right now the design aspect is about 90% done. I'm about 85% done color correcting, resizing and pulling in of the photos. The illustrating part is completely done. Writing is only 40% there but I want to get the photos and design aspects done first. Then I can write and pay people to edit. The most challenging part is "The History of 14er Dogs" section because it is more difficult to write about dogs and people you do not know. Plus, writing is not my strength and I already understand my book is not going to be some major award winner that wows the masses. I'm just a regular guy that's trying to do my best. In many ways, it reflects how Soy and I were when we climbed. Just a regular man and a normal dog. I was never at a greater climbing skill than Sawyer and that is what I think is the most impressive part of our story.

Josh
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Great to hear the update, Josh! I truly cannot wait to see the final product. Doing all of your own editing, graphics, & publishing is unfathomable, at least for me. I am sure it will be a work of art and something to cherish forever by you and every mountain-loving & dog-loving person out there. All my best to you and Soy.

Brandon
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Just to be pretentious, I'd suggest you include my wife's dog (when the dog behaves, she is mine when she doesn't).
Kya may be the first dog to have ski joured a 14er. She is close to retirement and currently goes by the name "Cowya"
We'll see if she gets back in shape for winter.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser

Edited - the dogs name is spelled Kya, not Kia.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

This is my dog Sundance on top of Grays. He has done Grays and Torreys thus far, and some more to come. He is a 3 year old Golden Retriever, small and wiry (65 pounds and is a ball of energy!) I just started getting him into it.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
Jim Davies
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I don't think he's been mentioned before, but Dave Hale of Colorado Springs (AFA) had a couple of high-personality dogs (Scooby and Shep) that must have climbed most of the 14ers.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump