History of 14er Dogs

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: History of 14er Dogs

Post by Inky6900 »

Horton is another on the list and is included for sure. The family has okayed his inclusion in the book but I have not met with them yet. I spoke with them this past month as well - email and phone. I hope to meet Horton and his family in the next month.
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
geno71
14ers: 34  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by geno71 »

mountainmicah83 wrote: I am planning on doing the columbia/harvard traverse this weekend and was planning on not bringing him. Has anyone ever taken a dog on that ridge or is it just too impossible? I don't want to kill him but would like to bring him if he can do it!

Thanks
I took mine on the traverse in October of last year. We tried heading low enough into the drainage but it still was difficult. The talus was spaced further apart than most we've been on an he was starting to get scared as we hit the mid point and he slipped a few times on the wet rock. I had to carry him across a few sections but once we got about 1 mile past Columbia, he was fine and made it the rest of the way with no problems. He's not the most limber dog but he's done 19 of them with me and never really had a problem before that. If I could do it again, I would've waited until a dry day in the summer or not taken him at all. But chalk it up to a lesson learned.
-Sam

Hines
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Inky6900 »

Also, I would encourage everyone that has climbed with a dog to respond to this because I might be able to include many more people and dogs. I will have to see how all this works but I could possibly just list people and dogs that are not featured in depth. I don't want to make false promises but depending on how many responses I have, this is potentially possible.
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
jf32
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (13)

Post by jf32 »

I am planning on doing the columbia/harvard traverse this weekend and was planning on not bringing him. Has anyone ever taken a dog on that ridge or is it just too impossible? I don't want to kill him but would like to bring him if he can do it!
I was part of a 14ers trip that did that route last Nov. One of the guys on the trip (geno71 i believe) brought his dog and wound up carrying him across most of the ridge. I'm not saying a dog can't do it just relaying my experience.
When you come to a fork in the road take it
Chicalorado
14ers: 11 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Chicalorado »

My Portuguese Water Dog, Cubbie, finally turned 1 a couple months ago so I've been hiking with him frequently. Only one summit thus far (Mt. Morrison) but we're going for his first 14er on Friday (Democrat).
"There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone."
~Grateful Dead

"Please me have no regrets..."
Jefflewis320
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jefflewis320 »

Okay, I'd been wanting to ask this for awhile but never wanted to start a forum about it so I'll just add it to this one since it's dog related, if that's okay. First of all, Josh, I think the book you are writing is an awesome idea and I look forward to reading it.

So I live in Kansas City and have a minature dachshund (a real mans dog), I really want to take him on a climb with me this summer. We walk and or run 2-3 miles several days a week. He is very athletic (for a dachshund) and basically my question is: has anyone else ever taken a small dog like this on a climb? I have climbed 10 14ers but have yet to climb Grays ... would that be a good one to take him on? Also, does altitude sickness effect dogs the same way it can effect humans?

And don't worry I'm fully prepared to carry him if I have to ... any insight would be great, thanks.
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

You should start him out on a class 1 peak and see how he does - so Gray's should be fine. Dachshunds have very short legs so talus hopping and off trail climbing on the class 2+ peaks may be a problem. Having said that, my manly dog descended stuff I never thought he'd be able to navigate. He usually followed me down and I rarely looked back to see how he did it.

I recall a thread about a year ago re: dogs and AMS. It would think they are susceptible to AMS although I never noticed it in Rocky.
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

I have a buddy with a jack russell terrier (Stormy) and she does class 3 circles around us the entire hike. He has to put her in his coat when it gets too cold though because she has such short fur. He just bought her a doggy fleece, so we will see how that works out.

Thanks to others on the columbia/ harvard traverse with a dog. I don't really feel like carrying an extra 70lb on a class 3 traverse so I think I will take your advice and leave him at home even though he seems to be super limber and coordinated. Boy is he going to be mad at me when he finds out!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
climbit
14ers: 55 
13ers: 135 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbit »

Hi,
We love to hike with our dog. My boys and this dog have climbed over 25 of the 14ers. Here are a couple of shots from the Lake Como area. Those boys and that dog have inspired me to buy a lot of gear and drive many miles. Enjoy the journey.
Attachments
Ridge1.jpg
Ridge1.jpg (138.93 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
Ridge.jpg
Ridge.jpg (130.78 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
Monroe11
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monroe11 »

I think to include Horton would be a great idea, he is a story in himself... i had the honor to meet him this January and what a great dog..
The Man said TA-DA!!!
pioletski
14ers: 58  58  6 
Trip Reports (48)

Post by pioletski »

Since it came up... dogs are actually very resistant to altitude problems. They have a contractile spleen, which basically enables them to give themselves a blood transfusion when they get winded. I believe bears and some other carnivores can do this also.
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo
Missy_Goat
14ers: 18 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Missy_Goat »

Climbit - great shots!!! 25 is an awesome number for a human, much less a dog! One of ours is FARE less coordinated, but he managed Quandary with ease last September. We climbed with one other great dane, so it was a dane-tastic hike :D

We keep Copper (the dane) to class 1's, he is much to clumsy I fear to attempt anything more technical. The gray one though (Booda) will be doing Humboldt and Shavano with us in two weeks. Dogs are SO much fun to hike with - they are just happy all the time :mrgreen:

Here a few pics from last September on Quandary:
Attachments
family summit.jpg
family summit.jpg (55.39 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
handsome copper.jpg
handsome copper.jpg (46.68 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
summit 1.jpg
summit 1.jpg (60.42 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
It is not the mountains we conquer, but ourselves - Edmund Hillary