History of 14er Dogs

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

History of 14er Dogs

Post by Inky6900 »

Hey Everyone,

As most of you know, I am putting together a book about my dog, Sawyer, climbing the 14ers with me. I'm sure most of you remember I recently retired him from climbing (roughly two months ago). He is doing much better, and even hiking again with me (although 14ers are still on our 'NO' list - unless things for him change enough).

As for my book, this will be the first of its kind and I truly hope people will enjoy it. For those that climb with dogs, it will offer several answers and suggestions to the multiple questions about dogs one would see on this site. I have been working on this for nearly nine years and kept it quiet until recently. I was mostly worried someone with more time would try to steal my idea. Except for family and close friends (20 or 30 people tops) no one has seen the preliminary layout of my book.

In my book, I am putting together a section called "The History of 14er Dogs." I am doing my best to find people from the past and present that have climbed with their dogs. I have made a personal choice that I am not going to write about someone or their dog if they (or remaining family) do not give approval. I have contacted a few individuals from this site that have amazing achievements in climbing 14ers with their dogs and they have agreed to be a part of these pages. A few others, not from this site, have been contacted and also are willing to let me write about them.

Here's where I need your help. If you or someone you know had or has a dog they climb(ed) with please let me know. I'm not trying to discriminate against dogs or people with less of a climbing resume but I am seeking those with something special or unique as this will be in a book. I am also seeking more information about those from past decades as most of what I am finding is within the past 20 years. People are welcome to send me a PM or respond to this post. If I decide I can include you in my book about Sawyer, I will give you my email and cell number.

Thanks for your help.

Josh Aho
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Re: History of 14er Dogs

Post by Neil »

I would suggest you include Roger Edrin in this fun project. You've likely come across Roger in your research. If not, Roger is a writer and photographer who has authored several 14er books that focus on pictures instead of detailed route descriptions. When I was ten years old, his books introduced me to Colorado 14ers and established my passion for climbing! Anyway, Mr. Edrin climbed with his dog Diente and featured Diente in many of his photographs. His status as a grand-slam finisher, 14er author, and dog owner seems like a strong fit for your project. Last I heard, Roger lived in Fort Collins, but that was many years ago. Sorry I can't provide a better lead, but good luck with finding him and with the project!
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

There's Steve Bremner of Colorado Springs. His late dog Sam The Wolfdog did over 50 14ers with him.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... n16543917/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

My dog retired from climbing 14ers this year as well (torn ACL). While he doesn't have any special accomplishments, he is a 20-pound male Cockapoo and I've never seen another on any 14er. He doesn't have the power of a Lab, Golden or Huskie, but for pure hiking stamina, I would put him up against any dog. So if you want to include this breed in your list of good dogs for hiking/climbing, you won't be lying.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

panicneil wrote:I would suggest you include Roger Edrin in this fun project. You've likely come across Roger in your research. If not, Roger is a writer and photographer who has authored several 14er books that focus on pictures instead of detailed route descriptions. When I was ten years old, his books introduced me to Colorado 14ers and established my passion for climbing! Anyway, Mr. Edrin climbed with his dog Diente and featured Diente in many of his photographs. His status as a grand-slam finisher, 14er author, and dog owner seems like a strong fit for your project. Last I heard, Roger lived in Fort Collins, but that was many years ago. Sorry I can't provide a better lead, but good luck with finding him and with the project!
I think Roger now lives in Buena Vista and can be contacted through http://www.abovethetimber.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Here's a shot of his current dog (sorry, I can't remember the dog's name) from when I bumped into them on Castle...
Attachments
rogerdog.jpg
rogerdog.jpg (201.53 KiB) Viewed 4088 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
RenoBob
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by RenoBob »

gdthomas wrote:My dog retired from climbing 14ers this year as well (torn ACL). While he doesn't have any special accomplishments, he is a 20-pound male Cockapoo .
Greg:
That's not a dog for real men! :lol:
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

Do you see that hairy cloud with legs in my avitar? Her name is Torrey. The loyal pooch would follow me to the end of the earth if she could. She made it up Torreys Peak with me a few days after I got her from Dumb Friends League so I named her after the mountain. She also made it up Bierstadt, Democrat and Grays. Now we take walks around the neighborhood since her body can't handle much more. Her body wasn't built for mountain endeavors as she is a unique Australian Shep/Basset mix but let me tell you, she's the best road trip companion ever. I luv my pup.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

gdthomas wrote:My dog retired from climbing 14ers this year as well (torn ACL). While he doesn't have any special accomplishments, he is a 20-pound male Cockapoo and I've never seen another on any 14er. He doesn't have the power of a Lab, Golden or Huskie, but for pure hiking stamina, I would put him up against any dog. So if you want to include this breed in your list of good dogs for hiking/climbing, you won't be lying.
Just a sidenote -- veterinary texts actually refer to cruciate ligaments in dogs (or 4-legged animals in general) as Cranial (anterior) and Caudal (posterior). It has to do with the positioning of the ligament, whether it's closer to the head or the rear. I'm not sure of the reason why they're named like that or what you would do with this information, but I thought I'd mention it. :mrgreen:
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Inky6900 »

I have been able to get a hold of Steve Bremner and he has given me the okay. I have not yet talked to him personally but we had some email conversations over the past couple months and he was willing to let me write

I have not had such luck with Roger Edrinn. I would love for him to be a part of my book but he has not responded to any of my emails or phone calls. He and Diente are the reason Sawyer and I embarked on our quest. I would love to write about them. I always had hoped Sawyer and I could acheive what they did. In years past, it has been hit and miss when I've emailed him. Lately he has not responded but I hope he does.

I've also contacted Enos Mills family and they have given me the okay to include him and his dog Scotch that climbed Longs Peak about 100 years ago.

Gerry Roach also directed me to one of his friends, Stu Krebs, that climbed several 14ers with his dog, Blackie, back in the 50s and 60s.

For all of you that responded so far, thank you! If I can, I will include everyone, but some individuals may only be listed while others will be featured. Again, I will let anyone that is in the book know ahead of time because I don't want to offend people since the dog subject can be sensitive for some.
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Horton the Quandary Dog has become famous in fourteener lore.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

MountainHiker wrote:Horton the Quandary Dog has become famous in fourteener lore.
I've stayed out of all the dog threads, but would love to learn more about this amazing dog! A must to include I think!
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

My Dog Baz (In profile picture) who is a Cheasapeake Retriever/Irish setter mix (we think) started off with Sherman last summer at just 3 months old. Since then, he has done 7 total peaks and will be doing all but the hardest ones. Pretty good for a Humane Society Resuce Id say. He is such a climbing junkie that he just whines every time we stop because he wants to press on. I had him up on some 3+ train on Castle's northeast ridge last weekend and he can stand on more of a slope than I can with Crampons. He makes solo hikes feel not so solo with his companionship. I am willing to provide more pictures and stories if requested.

I am planning on doing the columbia/harvard traverse this weekend and was planning on not bringing him. Has anyone ever taken a dog on that ridge or is it just too impossible? I don't want to kill him but would like to bring him if he can do it!

Thanks
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com