Dogs on 14ers?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Should dogs be banned from 14ers?

No
71%
Yes
29%

Total votes: 167
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Inky6900 »

People are usually a bigger problem than dogs. That's my opinion. My dog (Golden Retriever) and I have climbed 48 of the 14ers so far and I've done more damage to the environment than him...and not that I want to either. I'm just bigger and heavier and not as light on my feet. He's a lot more coordinated than any person could be.

I have been criticized on rare occasions when we've summitted the technical peaks. But most people are flat out amazed he made it and seem to like him. Many have snagged quick photos of him because they couldn't believe it. Only 3 or 4 people in all the hikes have been flat out rude to us.

I'll have to agree though that most people shouldn't bring their dog. They don't prepare correctly and the dog suffers far more than the environment or any other hiker. Good owners will carry their dog's food/water and put shoes and a harness on them as well. It sounds silly but it's really essential on EVERY hike. Any thing else is pretty inhumane.
bartspedden
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

The death of another mountain town

Post by bartspedden »

Last year The Mountain Gazette ran an article titled something to the effect of "The Death Of Another Mountain Town". It was all about the ridiculous new laws in Steamboat with respect to dogs. As people move into the mountain towns from the suburbs/cities, they tend to bring their values with them. Dogs have, and presumably, always will be one the key trade marks of a good mountain town. I was lucky enough to participate in this years Elk Mountain Grand Traverse had the opportunity to spend a couple days in Crested Butte. A great mountain town! My dog was aloud in every store that I entered. Homerdog is big, 100lbs of muscle, he did ALL of the training for the traverse this winter. But he's always around people, and he's always in the mountains. I wonder about the folks that bring their dogs into the hills for the first time. Are they the one that make people mad? People almost always react positively to Homerdog, especially on his 25 or so 14ers.

Personally, my dog is part of my life. I don't have kids. I value my dog companionship so much that I'm doing a 14er with him this weekend instead of hitting a few last runs at breck, where he can't go. I love Colorado and hope to never move. But if I can't take my dog with me on 14ers I will pack up and leave.

If you're angry about dogs, consider the owner. It may be that the people that have unruly dogs are probably not people you want in the backcountry. Control the people, and the dog problems with evaporate. By making blanket statements like "Dog's should not be aloud on 14ers" places you in a very lonely place in this world.

Live on Homerdog

bartspedden
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bartspedden »

69Bronc wrote:I also think that it depends. Dogs not on a leash just annoy me no matter where I am. But, even if they are on a leash, I think that the owner really needs to evaluate the mountain before bringing a dog along. I have seen a dog (not on a leash) start a pretty decent rock slide down a gully. Luckily, nobody was in harm's way. But, the fact is the dog had strayed away from it's owner and was somewhere it shouldn't have been.

If it is just a simple class 1 or something with a good solid trail all the way up, I don't mind dogs on leashes at all. Otherwise, I say just leave 'em at home.
Hmmm interesting logic... I have seen PEOPLE cause car accidents. Where PEOPLE get KILLED. Using your logic we should not allow people to drive. And by leaving you dog at home all the time your dog, nor it's owner, will ever learn one anothers personality and how to act around other people. Leashes are not the end all be all that people make them out to be. Leash INVOKE dog aggresion. Not only that but often make for a more dangerous situation for both dog and owner.
lpnbanditt
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lpnbanditt »

I can say, as a woman who enjoys hiking alone, that my dog makes an excellent hiking partner! He is well behaved, he understands how to stay just behind me on a trail, he knows how to sit and stay on narrow or loose trails until I call him down to me.... he even brings his own pack! Although I am not naive enough to believe my dog is a descendant of Lassie, it is reassuring to have him with me for safety and protection. I have run across dogs that have been less than well behaved, and those people should be confronted about appropriate behavior, but for those of us who bring our dogs as our hiking partners, I don't think that should be disallowed!
Devin
14ers: 41 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Devin »

bartspedden wrote: Hmmm interesting logic... I have seen PEOPLE cause car accidents. Where PEOPLE get KILLED. Using your logic we should not allow people to drive. And by leaving you dog at home all the time your dog, nor it's owner, will ever learn one anothers personality and how to act around other people. Leashes are not the end all be all that people make them out to be. Leash INVOKE dog aggresion. Not only that but often make for a more dangerous situation for both dog and owner.
Give me a break. I don't believe that the mountains are a place for carelessness. A dog doesn't have the ability to know if it is being careless.

Your argument against my "logic" isn't an apples to apples comparison unless you place the intelligence of a human equal to that of a dog. Saying that people KILL others in car accidents is not the same as saying a dog could create a dangerous situation on a mountain because it doesn't know what it is doing. Why don't you take it further and say people have DIED because they have choked while eating a steak. Let's ban steaks, then. You are stretching the logic argument too far.

I too have a dog. He is an awesome dog and very friendly, but I still keep him on a leash whenever I go out purely out of respect for others. His leash has never made him aggressive. I agree that leashes aren't the "be all end all". Proper training is. That said, I still find it flat annoying when people let their dogs roam free. It's just plain rude, IMO. But, to each his own.
Devin
Trip Reports (3)

Re: The death of another mountain town

Post by Devin »

bartspedden wrote: Dogs have, and presumably, always will be one the key trade marks of a good mountain town. I was lucky enough to participate in this years Elk Mountain Grand Traverse had the opportunity to spend a couple days in Crested Butte. A great mountain town!
I grew up in a mountain town. Yes, dogs were an important part of life out on the ranch. But, we didn't have them running around in the stores in town. Dogs are not a trademark for a "good" mountain town.

bartspedden wrote:
By making blanket statements like "Dog's should not be aloud on 14ers" places you in a very lonely place in this world.
What??? People are living lonely because they don't want dogs pestering them or creating dangerous situations for them? :roll: :roll:

Yes, dogs can make great companions. You should look into trying to talk to people sometime. Some of them can make great companions, too.
ceadda
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (3)

I just can't be bothered

Post by ceadda »

I don't take my dog up a 14er because I know I don't want to be bothered with anything. When I climb, it is because I want to climb and not because I want to chase my dog around. She can go on a walk with me around my neighborhood or out in the woods, but not on a 14er.
JustClimbIt
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

people stop crying and enjoy!

Post by JustClimbIt »

people cry WAY too much. Oh my god he's smoking a cigarrette. Oh my god their dog is unleashed. Do you people realize how petty you sound. Your climbing to be out there. Mind your own got damn business shut up and just climb it :twisted: If i wasted all my time crying about other people i don't think i'd ever enjoy myself. Nobody has the right to tell anyone what to do and how to do it. Tell me something and bother me and we got problems. If i did something such as infringing on you then by all means whup my ass! Cuz thats the only way to solve problems you little girls. Survival of the fittest.
MontroseMark
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MontroseMark »

So it sounds like I have your permission to shoot your dog if it comes at me? Thanks a million...
I need to move closer to the mountains...
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Last edited by Bean on Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

It sounds like dog owners are like parents--the good ones have their dogs well-trained and behaved, the not-so-good ones let their dogs do whatever they please.

Personally, if I never saw a dog out on the trail, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. There's a reason why dogs aren't allowed on trails in national parks, and IMO, maybe we should start treating our 14ers with the same respect.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
MtnLvnHippy
Trip Reports (0)

Dogs on trails..

Post by MtnLvnHippy »

They're just dogs... people need to relax.

Just clean up their poo and everything is koo!

:twisted: