Sorry, but yet another dog question

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bmratc
14ers: 44 
Trip Reports (3)

Sorry, but yet another dog question

Post by bmratc »

Can a dog make it up the gully on the standard route to Kit Carson? I have a Golden that has done quite a few 14ers, just nothing worse than difficult class 2. I really can't get a good idea from the pictures I've seen, and I have done a search on this topic as well. I am hesitant to bring up another dog question here, but I would hate to get that far and have to turn around. Thanks.
LuLuLuv
14ers: 58 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Sorry, but yet another dog question

Post by LuLuLuv »

Can't answer your question...But Lulu wanted to tell you she is lovin' your golden's look! (nice sunglasses) :D
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Your golden should have no problem...its really a pretty easy route...the avenue is huge and the climbing up the gully is borderline class 2-3. My golden cruised up it w/out even blinking.
reinselc
14ers: 36 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by reinselc »

I think a dog could make it. Its pretty loose going up to the ridge, and then the ridge to the avenue is easy.

The only thing I would make sure is not to leave the avenue too early. I was up there Tuesday and left the avenue way too early and did some more climbing than if I would have gone almost to the saddle. The terrain might be a little hard on the paws though.
Holy Schist
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Holy Schist »

I personally would not bring your dog. Part for yours and his/her safety and others. If you are going up Challenger first that is. It is very loose and pretty steep. We were up there a few weeks ago and there were 3 dogs, one boxer who was awesome, didn't kick a rock or anything, a lab who kicked at least 4 sets of rocks, one of the large enough to take you out and a golden who came up after us and did not descend till afgter we were down. We hike with our dogs on most class 1-2 stuff, but made a rule not to go anything over a 2 with them. So, can your dog make it? Absolutely. But I would not recommend it.

P.S., we are dog lovers too, we even run a rescue and are pro dog in most situations
...And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.
Grateful Dead

I will NOT climb the DECALIBRON again (long time ago),... I promise
bmratc
14ers: 44 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by bmratc »

Sweet LuLu! I think my dog is in Love =P~ Thanks for the info guys. Yeah Holy Schist, that is another concern of mine. Whether or not it will be easy for him to knock some rocks loose on people below. I take it that its pretty loose rock then :(