Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dogs on 14ers

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: Dogs on 14ers

Postby metalmountain » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:24 am

bonehead wrote:A little historical perspective maybe.
Not that I'm a big fan of horse crap, but:
Horse packers (with their dogs) have a much longer history in the high country than backpackers, hikers and climbers.
My first adventures in the Sierras in the sixties found way more horses than hikers.
Of course it's the other way around now.
Back then I think they had the same disdain for backpackers as we now seem to have for them.

I don't disdain the horses...just the recycled hay piles they leave behind hehe. :D
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby Missy_Goat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Dog owners should pick up their dog's poop when hiking..... I usually use those little poop bags you can buy at petsmart, clip it to the outside of your pack and your good to go. Sooooooooooo........logically.....shouldn't horse owners pick up their horse's poop!? Can you imagine the size of THAT bag! :shock: I would probably suggest using the big, black trash can sacks! Imagine those all clipped to the back of your pack. #-o
The mountains are calling and I must go. ~ John Muir

Postby metalmountain » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Missy_Goat wrote:Dog owners should pick up their dog's poop when hiking..... I usually use those little poop bags you can buy at petsmart, clip it to the outside of your pack and your good to go. Sooooooooooo........logically.....shouldn't horse owners pick up their horse's poop!? Can you imagine the size of THAT bag! :shock: I would probably suggest using the big, black trash can sacks! Imagine those all clipped to the back of your pack. #-o

Hahaha indeed...while I fully support the hauling out of said horse droppings, the logistics of that type of operation would be quite daunting. Maybe they could hire one of those guys like at the circus that walk around with a trash can on wheels and a shovel? :P
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby Missy_Goat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Metalmountain

Oooohhh!! Thats a good one! Course.......there are the poop bags that just hang on the horses rear. I've seen them used in parades...............hmmmmm..... idea! :idea:

Postby metalmountain » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Missy_Goat wrote:Metalmountain

Oooohhh!! Thats a good one! Course.......there are the poop bags that just hang on the horses rear. I've seen them used in parades...............hmmmmm..... idea! :idea:

Wait...they make horse diapers?! If not...I think I just found my way to my first million dollars!

Postby Missy_Goat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Looks like someone beat you to it!!!
Attachments
Horse diaper.gif
Horse diaper.gif (29.1 KiB) Viewed 378 times

Postby metalmountain » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Missy_Goat wrote:Looks like someone beat you to it!!!

Damn! And also...that thing is kinda scary/intimidating. I don't think I would go near a horse with that on.

Postby Missy_Goat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:48 pm

Ha!!! Yeah....course. I think I would be one embarrassed horse!!! :oops:

Postby Canadian in Colorado » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Missy_Goat wrote:Dog owners should pick up their dog's poop when hiking..... I usually use those little poop bags you can buy at petsmart, clip it to the outside of your pack and your good to go.

Completely agree...but I get so frustrated when some people go to the effort to pick up the poop with the bag, tie the bag nicely and then leave it sitting next to the trail with the intention of picking it up on their way back down....but then it never gets picked up! Might as well have just left the poop bagless ](*,)
If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains...you're lucky enough.

Postby Dex » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Horse packers (with their dogs) have a much longer history in the high country than backpackers, hikers and climbers.
My first adventures in the Sierras in the sixties found way more horses than hikers.
Back then I think they had the same disdain for backpackers as we now seem to have for them.

Why would they have disdain for backpackers back then? I don't get it.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Dex » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:09 pm

metalmountain wrote:

I don't disdain the horses...just the recycled hay piles they leave behind hehe. :D

I puts into perspective that question "How do you handle food waste and liquid from cleaning pots and utensils - eat it; strain out the food bits and pack it out or pour it on the horse droppings?"
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby bonehead » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:02 am

Dex wrote:Why would they have disdain for backpackers back then? I don't get it.

Backpackers were intruding on "their" turf.
Scaring their stock.
Hiker/Mountain Biker/Runner/Dog/Horse.
We all think it is our turf.
Get It?

PreviousNext