Dogs on 14ers

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bigboof
Trip Reports (0)

Dogs on 14ers

Post by bigboof »

I know that dogs have climbed all the 14ers in colordo.

I was wondering what kind of dogs have done so and if anyone knows if it has been done by a beagle....
spangle71
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dogs on 14ers

Post by spangle71 »

Having two beagles myself....I would not take them on any pass class 2....maybe some class 3. Depends on what shape your beagle is in and how comfortable you are with your dog going. I hike 14ers with humans and take my two four legged friends on other hikes. I know my two love getting out...I feel it is my responsiblity to make sure I choose hikes that are appropriate for them not putting them or anyone else who is hiking with us at risk.
Hunter
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hunter »

Get some dog boots! I've lost count of the number dogs I've seen whose paws are bleeding from talus. Ok, I'm off my soapbox.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
bigboof
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bigboof »

yeah, just wondering....he has done 12 now, snowmass being the most difficult. never had any problems with his feet though
OBC13
14ers: 38 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OBC13 »

Hauling a heavy dog off a 14er is not fun for the rescuers or for the dog. I have only heard of this happening on occasion. It is probably a function of the sharpness of the rocks and the size of the animal. If there is such as thing as dog boots then I would reccomend them at least being in the hiker's pack like moleskin for the hiker. Maybe just put them on at the start of the rocks. Probably should get the dog used to them before the climb.
OBC13
pouceo
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pouceo »

Hunter wrote:Get some dog boots! I've lost count of the number dogs I've seen whose paws are bleeding from talus. Ok, I'm off my soapbox.
Heh... I named my dog Talus :D
travisrsauder
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by travisrsauder »

I'm looking to start climbing 14ers with my dog and I've already been advised about the above mentioned booties. My question is this, where do I find the dang things? Also any advice on which "brands" or types work best would be appreciated.
AdgePeakster
14ers: 44 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AdgePeakster »

REI sells dog booties...Ruff Wear is the kind I've seen and the kind we use for our Golden Retriever
"While God's glory is written all over His work, in wilderness the letters are capitalized." ~John Muir
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

AdgePeakster wrote:REI sells dog booties...Ruff Wear is the kind I've seen and the kind we use for our Golden Retriever
A tip on these things - if your dog has any nails they will rip through the fabric quickly. I keep the booties in the bag in case my labs need them. Floyd would rip through a pair the 1st or 2nd time out and at $40 a pop I was spending more on my dogs shoes than my own.

As far as your beagle, he/she may fair better than the bigger breeds from what I've seen on the trail. Feel free to PM me if you want my opinion on certain mountains.
covfrrider
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by covfrrider »

Here's a trip I did with my dogs... One made his first 14er summit, the other wasn't feeling so well.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmain
COmthigh
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by COmthigh »

Refer to recent forum "Booties for GSP?" Some good advice from those who know. I'm trying the pad hardeners as suggested by a vet. She makes some good points. Good luck.
kgmo
14ers: 46 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by kgmo »

COmthigh wrote:Refer to recent forum "Booties for GSP?" Some good advice from those who know. I'm trying the pad hardeners as suggested by a vet. She makes some good points. Good luck.
Although a beagle could probably make it up several 14ers, I would not take it up most of the 14ers. I am not going to say it wouldn't/couldn't make it, but I will say that I wouldn't encourage it. Yes dogs have been up all 14ers, but just because it has been done, doesn't mean it is a good idea. My own dog has been up 21 14ers, including some class 3 climbs, but I have carried out my own dog after a fall. Would I love him to do all the peaks with me, absolutely, however, it is one thing to assume the risks with class 3+ climbs, it is quite another to risk the life of your dog, and other climbers (rock fall caused by your dog). It is an individual decision, and I don't want to start a debate (there are plenty of other threads that have dealt with the issue). That is just my personal opinion, and professional recommendation. I'm happy to answer specific questions if you would like to send me a pm.
"The vet" (the climber formerly known as kgmo)
Failure is never as frightening as regret.