Dogs on 14ers

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
3mtnlabbie
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Dogs on 14ers

Post by 3mtnlabbie »

hmmm, I'm wondering if the husky is in pure bliss!

Like these two who refused to leave the snow. I guess snow in July is a special treat!
Molly
gatorchick
Trip Reports (6)

Post by gatorchick »

This one also has a hard time staying on her feet ... :roll:

Jen

"In her heart she knows that sometimes a dog can be as good as any man ..." - widespread panic (slightly edited)
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Last edited by Bean on Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Bean wrote:
Missy_Goat wrote:On an even sadder note, the 14er Initiative volunteer told me they are seeking to ban dogs on 14ers all together, like on Longs. I find this sad, wrong, and upsetting. I mean, dogs are animals just as much as people are, and well trained dogs do just as much damage, or less, to a mountain as a marmot would... so I believe they have every right to be there as people do - given they have the ability to hike without threatening their health.
Maybe we should get 14ers Initiative people banned instead.
Absolutely get the 14ers Initiative folk banned before dogs are banned from all 14ers. Maybe their plan is to incorporate every range in CO into RMNP :) Man, if they ever ban dogs and strictly enforce it by gurading every trailhead and handin out tickets, I will be leaving this state. CO would seriously disappoint me.
whit12
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by whit12 »

He's been more places then most ppl! :wink:
Attachments
brad.jpg
brad.jpg (26.7 KiB) Viewed 3730 times
geno71
14ers: 34  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by geno71 »

This one takes his 14ers very seriously...

His 19th on Antero
Copy of Antero 009.jpg
Copy of Antero 009.jpg (26.31 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
Enjoying the view...
Copy of Antero 015.jpg
Copy of Antero 015.jpg (25.12 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
Girlslovesnow
14ers: 5  2 
13ers: 4 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Girlslovesnow »

Question for those of you that own Weimaraners. I have a 3 1/2 year old Weim/chocolate mix. I've taken her hiking quite a bit and she summited Grays just the other day. She does great on all of it. The only problem is I took her backpacking last week, with her own backpack, and she couldn't walk the night we got back. It was only about a 2 1/2 mile hike and the backpack carried food and a bowl. I'm wondering if any of you have experience with dogs and backpacks? Other dogs seem just fine with them. Is her breed not very strong (I don't know much about it)?
"I wish people would quit telling me I can do anything I want. I never thought I couldn't"
3mtnlabbie
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 3mtnlabbie »

Girlslovesnow wrote:Question for those of you that own Weimaraners. I have a 3 1/2 year old Weim/chocolate mix. I've taken her hiking quite a bit and she summited Grays just the other day. She does great on all of it. The only problem is I took her backpacking last week, with her own backpack, and she couldn't walk the night we got back. It was only about a 2 1/2 mile hike and the backpack carried food and a bowl. I'm wondering if any of you have experience with dogs and backpacks? Other dogs seem just fine with them. Is her breed not very strong (I don't know much about it)?
What kind of back pack was it? We have a few packs for the pooches and we have decided to pitch two as they don't distribute the weight on the dogs very well. I would also pay special attention to how they fasten to the dog and see if they are being rubbed in an area where a strap is. And it may be the added weight in general. Even a few pounds of extra weight on a dog can be very hard on their body (with regards to body weight) so added weight via a backpack could be hard too. I would suggest very small amounts of weight at first, like the pack without anything in it for awhile to give your baby some time to get stronger.
Molly
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Inky6900 »

Missy_Goat wrote: On an even sadder note, the 14er Initiative volunteer told me they are seeking to ban dogs on 14ers all together, like on Longs. I find this sad, wrong, and upsetting.
I don't know if this is true but it would anger me immensely and I would personally take a lead in seeing this never happens. I have always respected 14er Initiative members, their work, the time they sacrifice and what they have done to help our peaks. They don't get enough praise or respect for all they have done and will do. I am all for preserving our mountains. I have climbed nearly all of the 14ers with my dog but it doesn't prevent me from wanting to preserve our peaks and leave no trace just as much as any CFI member. Does the fact I have a dog and have climbed nearly every summit with him make me incapable of wanting to preserve the 14ers? Why do climbers with dogs always get labeled as not giving a damn and not wanting to preserve the 14ers? Why? I honestly don't get it and it seriously pisses me off to the max. I have never made a huge donation to the CFI but I recently donated to their cause when Bill emailed all of us. I've hauled trash off 14ers that others left behind. I've trained Sawyer not to chase wildlife and stay on trails as much as possible. When other hikes are near, I call Soy to me as to not have them disturbed or irritated. My experiences while climbing with Sawyer have been so special they have changed how I look at our mountains. I want to help preserve Colorado so future generations can enjoy experiences just like Sawyer and I have while climbing together. I love Colorado, the 14ers and the general beauty and joy that comes with being a part of these things. Banning dogs is not the answer. Banning dogs only makes a significant change while making no real positive moment towards the actual issue - peak preservation.

Banning dogs is the last thing we need to do. If the 14er Initiative ever truthfully seeks this ban I would lose so much respect for them. It is wrong and it is not the solution to preserving Colorado.

Josh Aho
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
drjrumley
Trip Reports (0)

Post by drjrumley »

To ban dogs on 14ers is absolutly rediculous... I currently don't have a dog (my malamute trapper died last year). I think at the heart of the issue is a lack of respect by some, not all, dog owners for everyone else. I think that instead of banning dogs, give very heavy fines for having a dog unleashed. I loved my malamute and am planning on a bloodhound next but I have to say even I, as a dog lover get tired of watching dogs scare off sheep and non-marmot wildlife. Hiking should be an experience for all so maybe if everyone leashes up then the anti-dog chatter will go away.
weschun
14ers: 38  12 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by weschun »

This is a very emotional issue for most folks, and has been beaten to death. Everyone has an opinion. I am a dog owner and lover. I’ll keep my opinion to myself.

There are some facts to keep in mind:

CFI has not taken a position that dogs should be banned on fouteeners.

CFI has no authority to set policy, only the Forest Service and Congress do.

Forest Service rules dictate that dogs are to be on a leash see:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/conditions ... ountry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top of page three

The number one complaint received by the Forest Service is “dogs off leash”

Dogs have been banned from the trails in National Parks.
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.
Nathan Hale
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Nathan Hale »

weschun wrote: CFI has not taken a position that dogs should be banned on fouteeners.

CFI has no authority to set policy, only the Forest Service and Congress do.

Forest Service rules dictate that dogs are to be on a leash see:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/conditions ... ountry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top of page three

The number one complaint received by the Forest Service is “dogs off leash”

Dogs have been banned from the trails in National Parks.
Totally true, hopefully we can avoid getting pitchforks out with misinformation based on miscommunications.

To reiterate:
Dogs have been banned on Longs Peak for a long time already and CFI can't ban dogs.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com