Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dog-friendly desert backpacking suggestions

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Dog-friendly desert backpacking suggestions

Postby climbinfool » Fri May 09, 2008 8:32 am

Hello all, I've had my share of snow and winter ascents for the time being and have been craving some time in the desert before it gets too hot for a while now. Any suggestions? The Dark Canyon loop in Utah is what I've been considering most seriously.

Thanks a lot,

Matt
"Everybody I know has a big 'but'" - if you can tell me what movie this quote is from (and aren't too embarrassed to admit it), I'll buy you lunch.
"Oh...oh I've got a helmet - I got a beauty!" - George Hanson

Re: Dog-friendly desert backpacking suggestions

Postby sanjuanmtneer » Fri May 09, 2008 10:32 am

I can't give you much information on your loop hike because I only went in and out of the Sundance (Sandslide) Trail and camped just up canyon from the bottom of it. But I can tell you it's a BEAUTIFUL canyon. We had a good flowing stream for about three miles up canyon (that's as far as we went) from the bottom of the Sundance Trail. Lots of nice swimming holes.
I was there in the middle of May, as I recall.
Dogs always like lots of easy access water on a hike.
Have a great trip!
And my mind is made up,
To climb all the mountains,
Before my body's laid up,
And the night advances.
And the time is here.
(With deference to John Dillon)

Postby climbinfool » Sat May 10, 2008 2:11 am

Thanks for responding sanjuanmtneer. I plan on heading to the Woodenshoe Canyon Trailhead tomorrow and doing the 40-mile Woodenshoe Canyon -> Dark Canyon -> Peavine Canyon loop. Not sure exactly what to expect - but ya never know 'til ya go (at leats that's been my experience, no matter how much you check out maps, guidebooks, etc.). Thanks for the info though and have a great weekend.

climbinfool
"Everybody I know has a big 'but'" - if you can tell me what movie this quote is from (and aren't too embarrassed to admit it), I'll buy you lunch.
"Oh...oh I've got a helmet - I got a beauty!" - George Hanson

Postby Scott P » Sat May 10, 2008 8:35 am

There are no swimming holes in that section and water is often quite sparse (in fact last time I was there it was bone dry except for two springs). This time of year should have a bit more water (makbe even a stream part of the way), but still no swimming holes save one yecky stangnat pouroff in Woodenshoe. There may even be some snow since you will sometimes be at 8000+ feet? Not sure.

To be honest, that section isn't near as beautiful as the lower end sanjuanmtneer is speaking of, but it is more dog friendly. There are some nice ruins in that section though.

Anyway if you bring a dog, and since water is spearse in that section make sure he/she doesn't muck up or splash in the few waterholes since other's are depending on them for drinking. Since wildlife also depends on them, make sure to camp well away from the springs and water and keep the dog out of the ruins. Other than that, it should be a dog friendly hike. Have a great trip.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.