Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Nordic Ski Areas

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Nordic Ski Areas

Postby tlongpine » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Can anyone recommend pet friendly Nordic ski trails? Need to keep the dogs healthy this winter, but that doesn't happen if Dad is skiing the resorts all day.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Re: Nordic Ski Areas

Postby climbnowworklater » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Not sure if you know about Breckenridge Nordic Center. They have 2 trails that are dog friendly I believe.
Call them and check it out.
Edit: actually, one may be snowshoe only. The new Nordic world looks like Heaven's Gate is dog friendly and xc.
My map is older.
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa

Postby tlongpine » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:04 pm

climbnowworklater wrote:Not sure if you know about Breckenridge Nordic Center. They have 2 trails that are dog friendly I believe.
Call them and check it out.
Edit: actually, one may be snowshoe only. The new Nordic world looks like Heaven's Gate is dog friendly and xc.
My map is older.

I should clarify, I'm looking for non-commercial trails on public lands.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

Postby climbnowworklater » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Oh, ok. Well, that clarification makes a difference. :lol:

Did you see this link the other day: http://www.dillonrangerdistrict.com/winter_trail_list.htm
scroll down for trails.

Hope it helps.
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa

Postby tlongpine » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:07 pm

climbnowworklater wrote:Oh, ok. Well, that clarification makes a difference. :lol:

Did you see this link the other day: http://www.dillonrangerdistrict.com/winter_trail_list.htm
scroll down for trails.

Hope it helps.

That's terrific! That should keep us busy. My neck of the woods, too. :-D

Postby cheeseburglar » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm curious what you mean by pet friendly. Do you mean people won't harass you when your dog is off leash? Or people won't harass you when your dog is on leash? Or do you mean it's a great trail for ski jouring where your dogs can really run and pull you?
A lot of trails won't be good for ski jouring, in my experience. Too much up and down and narrow track. I've found the best places for ski jouring are actually snowmobile areas on public land. They do a great job grooming and if you are there off peak times, the couple of snowmobilers you'll run into will wave and look at you like you are crazy as long as you make some effort to get out of there way.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby tlongpine » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:34 am

cheeseburglar wrote:I'm curious what you mean by pet friendly. Do you mean people won't harass you when your dog is off leash? Or people won't harass you when your dog is on leash? Or do you mean it's a great trail for ski jouring where your dogs can really run and pull you?
A lot of trails won't be good for ski jouring, in my experience. Too much up and down and narrow track. I've found the best places for ski jouring are actually snowmobile areas on public land. They do a great job grooming and if you are there off peak times, the couple of snowmobilers you'll run into will wave and look at you like you are crazy as long as you make some effort to get out of there way.

I mean public trails that allow dogs - and, yes, specifically trails ideal for skijoring.

So far it looks like Ptarmigan Pass, Shrine Pass and Boreas Pass fit the bill - if the snowmobilers have provided the "grooming".

As for harassment, whatever. I can deal with that.

Postby osprey » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:41 am

The Galloping Goose trail on Lizard Head Pass.
It is groomed for both skate and classic Nordic skiing. It is free ( although donations to the Telluride Nordic Association which provides the grooming are always appreciated ) and is already open and groomed.
Many people bring their dogs.
Please be considerate and scoop their poop.

Postby cheeseburglar » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:50 pm

tlongpine wrote:
I mean public trails that allow dogs - and, yes, specifically trails ideal for skijoring.

If you are in Frisco, you might want to contact Louisa with high country dogs. I haven't met her, but talked to her on the phone a few years ago when she was thinking of building a house near Glenwood Springs. Her web site is still up and looks active.
http://skijornmore.com/
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes