Re: "new Lyons ... more like Aspen"

Postby jomagam » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:28 pm

TallGrass wrote:"Who's gonna flip your burger?"

There's always Aurora :twisted:

Postby rickinco123 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Jim Davies wrote:
TallGrass wrote:"Who's gonna flip your burger?"

Silicon Valley ran into this when housing prices spread so high and so far that there was a labor shortage in service industries.

This is already a problem in the high-end resort towns like Vail and Aspen. Service workers can't afford to live there, so they commute from Leadville or Basalt, or they're imported from Australia. Here's a story about the problem from 13 years ago:
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/12/us/aspen-journal-ski-resorts-struggle-to-lure-workers.html

When I moved to Vail in my mid 20s ( 1990s ) this is what my competition looked like in the low end rental market. I competed with illegal aliens who would pack 4 people in a 2 bedroom, they could afford high rents. I competed with high school kids who would come out for 2 months with 3 of their buddies and work ( always telling their employer they were there for the whole season ) and pack 4 into a 1 bedroom apartment and pay high rents. I competed with trust fund kids who would pay the high rents ( their parents would pay anyway). There was no downward pressure on the rental prices at my market level so I suffered the consequences. My point is that I would not compare those conditions to the real estate market as a whole, there is an entirely different dynamic at work and different opportunities as well.

Postby ajkagy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:18 am

Shawnee Bob wrote:Different deal in the mountain towns. Those places are being gentrified by rich out-of-staters. Developers get their hands on large tracts, subdivide them into acreages and sell them to rich people at huge prices. This drives up land values in these little towns and prices out the little guy. Happened in CB awhile back. Then So. CB. Workers were/are commuting from Gunnison, but now even that town is getting too pricey for working-class types.

It's definitely happening here, but has slowed down since the housing market went to crap and hasn't really come back like the front range. The rentals here are cheaper than most places in boulder/denver area and way cheaper than summit. It's still ridiculously expensive if you want to buy a house, think 500k+. If you've got a down payment it's cheaper to build. Yea it sucks, but you have to think it's the price to pay to live somewhere like this. It would be hard to go back to a city or the rat race. The rich people/tourists/weekenders keep this place alive since there are hardly any good jobs out here.

I feel eventually the demographics of some of these towns might change with more and more companies having full time telecommute jobs. It works for my wife and I.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Tony1 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:10 am

That's not civil engineering...

Postby mountaingoat-G » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:54 pm

do you mean SOCIAL engineering ???

Postby ChrisRoberts » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:37 pm

stateside wrote:
Tony1 wrote:That's not civil engineering...

Technically your right.
But it pretty much has the same effect - without government intrusions which is a good thing.

No, it has no correlation at all. Civil engineers design infrastructure, building structures etc. regardless of who uses it. Civil engineers aren't redesigning 36 and 34 for rich people only.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:42 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:
stateside wrote:
Tony1 wrote:That's not civil engineering...

Technically your right.
But it pretty much has the same effect - without government intrusions which is a good thing.

No, it has no correlation at all. Civil engineers design infrastructure, building structures etc. regardless of who uses it. Civil engineers aren't redesigning 36 and 34 for rich people only.

Don't try to reason with him. It won't work. RV4 is no different than the earlier models.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby tlongpine » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:47 pm

mountaingoat-G wrote:do you mean SOCIAL engineering ???

No. He's means "you're".
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby TallGrass » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Uh, stateside, no. [-X

"Social engineering is a discipline in social science that refers to efforts to influence popular attitudes and social behaviors on a large scale, whether by governments or private groups."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_%28political_science%29

"Civil engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_engineering

What the current and former mayor of Lyons are talking about is gentrification

"Gentrification is a shift in an urban community toward wealthier residents and/or businesses and increasing property values, sometimes at the expense of the poorer residents of the community."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentrification
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Doug Shaw » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:34 pm

stateside wrote:making it difficult for undesirables shacking up where they are not appreciated

I believe what stateside is trying to express would be analogous to Bill charging a membership fee to access this site, in order to ward off the sociopaths who keep coming back again and again to annoy and harass people here since there is essentially no cost or penalty to their doing so.

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:41 pm

stateside wrote:Doing "social engineering" involves some form of government being slow, expensive, inefficient so ultimately ineffective - no teeth to it.
Whereas "civil engineering" uses property costs, building convents, etc. making it difficult for undesirables shacking up where they are not appreciated - plenty of bite.

Ignorance on public display.

Bet you're ready for winter, aren't you? Can't you post a snowmachine vid and stop with this drivel?
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby dannyg23 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:57 pm

stateside wrote:
I just added a new word to my vocabulary, thanks.

Same result in principal. Architecture has as much as anything else inn cutting crime in urban areas the same can be said for CO mountain towns like Lyons - good for the town in the end.

I'm a Civil Engineer. Sometimes when I tell people that I get the sense they don't really know what that means, but I had no idea people could be that far off.

PreviousNext