Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

"new Lyons ... more like Aspen"

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: "new Lyons ... more like Aspen"

Postby dave_navy_VA » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:04 pm

A few isolated and fascinating dives into class warfare based on the Mayor's comments. Allow me to introduce Lyons in context of the flood for those who don't live or work there yet feel compelled to raise this nonsense. My family has owned property and lived in and around Lyons for more than 2 decades. Long before some of the recent, more expensive homes along the St Vrain and East and West of McConnell Drive. McConnell is one of the bridges off 36 that was wiped out.

Many of the newer homes in that area are $450-500K or more. They pay taxes that in part, enable Lyons to have a superb middle/high school with facilities far above those of the typical tiny town of 2500. None of those homes or the school in SE Lyons were flooded because they were outside the FEMA flood plain map.

Most of Lyons North of Main St survived intact because it is high ground anyway, and built before there were FEMA flood plain maps. The folks that were hurt were along Park St and the trailer park adjacent to the St Vrain bend. Those places were always at risk because of their elevation but also preceded the FEMA map availability. It's been tough for everyone. But no one wants to see an end to the young kids (from some of those modest homes) with their tubes walking past the post office and riding the river for a half mile or so before heading back home.

When things stabilize and it's time to reclaim some of those areas, it's unlikely development will be in the same areas that were flooded. Lenders to developers and those that would provide captive financing to buyers (like a guy that would like to build a new trailer park) will be difficult. If you know Lyons, they don't need an Affordable Housing Corporation or other set asides like elsewhere in Boulder County to take care of each other. There may not be a trailer park rebuilt on the flood plain but it's a safe bet the "rich folks" won't oppose a newer one in a safer location. So take the rape of the small town culture argument elsewhere.

After the rebuild, Lyons won't be stuffed with hipsters in Range Rovers and BMWs with Thule racks that never carry skis or a kayak. The mayor is basically conveying the message (that she takes away from the community meeting that had to be held in Longmont) that rebuilding will be difficult but if done right it will preserve the diverse community (and economic strata) that it has now.

Postby bonehead » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:because Realtors are LIARS.

I'm glad to see that someone
has a higher opinion of realtors than I.

Postby TallGrass » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:50 pm

dave_navy_VA wrote:The mayor is basically conveying the message ... that rebuilding will be difficult but if done right it will preserve the diverse community (and economic strata) that it has now.

Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby dave_navy_VA » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:34 pm

TallGrass wrote:
dave_navy_VA wrote:The mayor is basically conveying the message ... that rebuilding will be difficult but if done right it will preserve the diverse community (and economic strata) that it has now.

There is no transcript. I was there. No sworn testimony. What do you want?

Previous