Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Flooding Tragedy

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Flooding Tragedy

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:57 am

Channel 9 reported a few minutes ago RMNP is closed and people in the park are being told to leave.

Presumably this means no recreational access from the Grand Lake side or anywhere else.

Trail Ridge Road is still open for emergency use and people attempting to leave Estes.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:26 pm

metalmountain wrote:
Yeahhh...getting to Wyoming may be a chore for a while as well. I think they closed I25 all the way to the Wyoming border now.

not from Nebraska...

but yeah... there is another thread for this convo... I'm out.

Postby metalmountain » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:
metalmountain wrote:
Yeahhh...getting to Wyoming may be a chore for a while as well. I think they closed I25 all the way to the Wyoming border now.

not from Nebraska...

but yeah... there is another thread for this convo... I'm out.

Ahh yeah didn't think about that. 85 also appears to be open still.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby TeamDino5280 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:56 pm

"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:11 pm

Walked down to the bridge this morning and talked to an officer. It sounded like 3 bridges were confirmed gone, Screaming Woman bridge(LCR29 & LCR22H) and both bridges over the Thompson east and west of LCR 27. The officer also described the whole Narrows as being 'gone', but I'm not sure if thats really the case. Suffice to say that 34 is going to be out of commission for a long time.

Might ride the bike and get some perspective on the Screaming Woman bridge and the Dam Store area.
Bridge west of 27.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:26 pm

Postby goingup » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:44 pm

If anyone knows of ways to volunteer services for clean up they should post information.
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where no one intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more......

Postby Dave B » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:56 pm

goingup wrote:If anyone knows of ways to volunteer services for clean up they should post information.

+1 to this, good idea!

I imagine most of these opportunities won't come into existence for at least a week, but this would be great information to share here. Perhaps a thread should be started in a couple days to serve this purpose.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby goingup » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:06 pm

Dave B wrote:
goingup wrote:If anyone knows of ways to volunteer services for clean up they should post information.

+1 to this, good idea!

I imagine most of these opportunities won't come into existence for at least a week, but this would be great information to share here. Perhaps a thread should be started in a couple days to serve this purpose.

Ya that would be really cool. If anyone has the connection to volunteer services to help with clean up please start a thread (even if it is a week out). I would be more than willing to offer my two hands to help clean up towns, neighborhoods, homes, and road ways.
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where no one intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more......

Postby MonGoose » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm available to help out this weekend.

Postby maverick_manley » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:46 pm

MonGoose wrote:

I'm available to help out this weekend.

I'm also available this weekend (and after work next week) to help clean up. I can possibly also round up a few folks.
My Brain Stops at Treeline but my Soles will Summit

Postby larkinrx2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:17 pm

while its not the National Guard,
i do some volunteer through church for these situations..... ERT, VIM (methodist church)

most of these groups need to get the OK by the FEDS first to be allowed in, since they are usually shut down to residents and FED/State personell only in the initial phases.

there will be plenty of opportunity to help, but first is do no harm
1. dont get in the way of the people that should be there
2. Dont cause more damage to the property (the area needs to be assessed by the insurers first usually for the claim process to work without a hitch, or they will say property owner did damage to increase claim)

my answer would be contact your local board of (red cross, salvation army or the likes) that would be "activated" to help
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

PreviousNext