Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Flooding Tragedy

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Flooding Tragedy

Postby MonGoose » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:15 am

Estes Park this morning (courtesy of Estes Park News).

Postby djkest » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:27 am

I grew up in Loveland, and the damage in Loveland is going to be horrendous. Fairgrounds park is now completely underwater. I-25 between 402 and HWY 34 is underwater. Homes flooded, mud and debris everywhere. And it's actually going to get worse in the next few days as water comes down the canyon and funnels down from the mountains.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby madbuck » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:44 am

susanjoypaul wrote:
Many of the folks I talked to yesterday in Colorado Springs were somewhat oblivious to what was happening in our state. They drive to work and back, and the mall and back, and occasionally to Denver for shopping, or a game, but the rest of the state might as well be a foreign country. It's times like this, when the world we know as our home is in distress, that it really hits you: how your view changes when you're out there in it, week after week, month after month, driving its roads, hiking its trails, crossing its rivers and climbing its peaks, and you do form a very emotional attachment to the land, and the people who enjoy it just as much as you do.

Yes, great and sobering observation.
A few weeks ago, volunteering at the Pro Cycling Challenge, some motorists were livid at not being able to get to Walmart, Sam's Club, or Centerra Mall in Loveland for ~15 minutes (or taking the back roads, which they didn't know because they never take them) -- and I think, sadly, that's the limited view of Colorado for a lot of folk. So it's touching to have more in common with some frequent outdoorsy visitors than people that actually live here!

As you said, SJP, seeing these communities and trails and roads crumbling is heartbreaking. The worst, of course, are those that lost life and property. From a public standpoint, it's not just driving those canyon roads, but biking on them...and I know the roads will necessarily take priority, but lots of recognizable, popular trails, e.g. the Boulder OS trails in Chautauqua and even "just" Sanitas, are flowing rivers of mud; as well as the bike paths all over Boulder, Loveland, Ft. Collins; and then you think of the dirt County roads and favourite obscure peaks, trails, and accesses that are going to be very far down on the priority list. All of our good Colorado stuff on the Front Range taken down at once! Lots of work (and volunteering) to be done.

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:47 am

scalba123 wrote:
jsdratm wrote:I live in Gunbarrel, so I am quite a ways away from Boulder Creek and haven't seen any serious flooding up here. However, it looks like Boulder itself, Longmont, and especially Lyons and Estes Park are in a lot of pain. I think we will need a lot of volunteer work to repair the hiking trails in the county and city open space, so maybe consider volunteering when the opportunity comes. The roads are also going to be in very bad shape for a while. I'm not sure how the Estes Park situation will play out if the only remaining road is Trail Ridge and winter is approaching. Maybe they can quickly repair the washouts or put in temporary bridges army style?

US36 Between Lyons and Estes Park:

Wow...I was on that road three weeks ago for vacation.

Yeh, I went thru there over Labor Day weekend. Unbelievable.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby MonGoose » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:01 am

In spite of all of this, CU is planning to play their football game tomorrow in Boulder. #-o

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9668504/despite-flooding-colorado-fresno-state-football-game-go-scheduled-saturday

Postby vusteph » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:08 am

iholdthepain wrote:I echo your sentiment... Just moved into Loveland 2 weeks ago from TX, been driving through the canyon almost nightly to places like Lumpy Ridge, Lily Lake, "The Mish" ... and my happy place, Kind Coffee. Very heartbreaking to see what's happening to these places just hours after being there! Humans are very resilient (or stubborn), though, and I'm sure the area will recover in no time... I'll be up in Estes to help out whenever this mess subsides... I have a good friend in a shelter up there right now :(

i just moved to broomfield from texas about a month ago. luckily my part of broomfield hasn't been hit hard but it breaks my heart to know not far away things are washing away. i just realized eldorado springs is at the mouth of the canyon and i can't imagine what's going on over there. we were just hiking there a week ago. also i never thought of all places i would get flooded out of CU-Boulder. I've been flooded out my entire life living in NOLA and Houston, but I never thought I would run into that up here. So sad, I know how it feels to watch everything you've grown to love wash away.

Postby wrxpilot » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:16 am

vusteph wrote:
iholdthepain wrote:I echo your sentiment... Just moved into Loveland 2 weeks ago from TX, been driving through the canyon almost nightly to places like Lumpy Ridge, Lily Lake, "The Mish" ... and my happy place, Kind Coffee. Very heartbreaking to see what's happening to these places just hours after being there! Humans are very resilient (or stubborn), though, and I'm sure the area will recover in no time... I'll be up in Estes to help out whenever this mess subsides... I have a good friend in a shelter up there right now :(

i just moved to broomfield from texas about a month ago. luckily my part of broomfield hasn't been hit hard but it breaks my heart to know not far away things are washing away. i just realized eldorado springs is at the mouth of the canyon and i can't imagine what's going on over there. we were just hiking there a week ago. also i never thought of all places i would get flooded out of CU-Boulder. I've been flooded out my entire life living in NOLA and Houston, but I never thought I would run into that up here. So sad, I know how it feels to watch everything you've grown to love wash away.

I've definitely been wondering how that little town in El Dorado Canyon is doing.

Postby vusteph » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:18 am

wrxpilot wrote:
vusteph wrote:

I've definitely been wondering how that little town in El Dorado Canyon is doing.

Me too, I've been trying to google it but there's minimal info, just that everyone's been encouraged to evacuate. I might try and drive over there to check it out (its about 20 mins from my place) but I'm not even sure I can get out that way.

Postby MtnHub » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:27 am

Oh my!! My heart just breaks for all the people involved! My wife and I can remember our vacation in RMNP a week after the Big Thompson flood (1976?) and the devastation that resulted then. We've also gone through severe flooding here in IC and the loss of so many Univ of Iowa buildings in 2008. So we have had some experience with this kind of thing. So very sad to see. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you dear people!!

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:35 am

Does anyone know if US34 washed out or just flooded?

Postby SilverLynx » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:38 am

Saw this on my Facebook. Near the Dam Store.
Attachments
Hwy34.jpg
Hwy34.jpg (114.82 KiB) Viewed 283 times
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby djkest » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:42 am

Ouch. That means 34 is definately washed out.

Attached is a pic of I-25 where it crosses the Big Thompson river.
i-25-loveland-flooding.jpg
i-25-loveland-flooding.jpg (31.89 KiB) Viewed 246 times
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

PreviousNext