Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Flooding Tragedy

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Flooding Tragedy

Postby iholdthepain » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:37 pm

To quote the great Paul Petzoldt,

“…Some people say that experience is the best teacher. To heck with that. I know people who have been making the same mistakes for forty years.”

Postby mtnview » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Oh my, just like Canmore and Calgary!!
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Postby JGiffinPhotog » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:48 pm

View at Utah Park in Aurora today. Wild stuff out here. At least people in my neck of the woods seem mostly safe so far. Some property damage at worst, but haven't heard of any injuries. Hoping everyone else out here & up in the hills stays safe. Especially those in Lyons & Estes areas!
Attachments
11-FD07ABEB-133132-800.jpg
11-FD07ABEB-133132-800.jpg (11.45 KiB) Viewed 892 times
11-9CBF560A-116956-800.jpg
11-9CBF560A-116956-800.jpg (10.3 KiB) Viewed 892 times
11-489D652E-162826-800.jpg
11-489D652E-162826-800.jpg (14.43 KiB) Viewed 900 times
http://www.jgiffinphotos.com
"In the end, it's not so much how to succeed in life, as it is how to survive the life you've chosen" - Hunter S. Thompson
“You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains.” - Hunter S. Thompson
"...Let's go exploring!" - Bill Watterson (Calvin & Hobbs)

Postby JGiffinPhotog » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:10 am

Don't know why the images are so small... not sure how to get them to show larger.
http://www.jgiffinphotos.com
"In the end, it's not so much how to succeed in life, as it is how to survive the life you've chosen" - Hunter S. Thompson
“You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains.” - Hunter S. Thompson
"...Let's go exploring!" - Bill Watterson (Calvin & Hobbs)

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:45 am

mtflatrock wrote:Until very recently I've had no emotional or romantic connection to Colorado. But now that I've traveled there twice in the last month to complete my first four 14ers I've not only developed an attachment to Colorado and its magnificent beauty but also to the warmth and friendliness of its residents. I've had the occasion to share trail and summit experiences with many helpful and friendly people. The tragic flooding and loss of life and property there have affected me considerably, and I wish to extend my sincerest sympathies and best wishes to all Coloradans, including fellow mountain enthusiasts who have been directly or indirectly affected by this tragedy.

There are people in Colorado who have no emotional or romantic connections to Colorado :-D

Many of the folks I talked to yesterday in Colorado Springs were somewhat oblivious to what was happening in our state. They drive to work and back, and the mall and back, and occasionally to Denver for shopping, or a game, but the rest of the state might as well be a foreign country. It's times like this, when the world we know as our home is in distress, that it really hits you: how your view changes when you're out there in it, week after week, month after month, driving its roads, hiking its trails, crossing its rivers and climbing its peaks, and you do form a very emotional attachment to the land, and the people who enjoy it just as much as you do.

Anyway, your post made me smile. It reminded me of how mountaineering brings people together in a way that's impossible to explain to those who spend most of their time "on the inside." It's been pouring here in the Springs - a downpour out there right now, in fact - but I can still get everywhere I need to be, and I think I actually even found a peak I can get to and climb this weekend, so it's all good for me right now. The devastation around the state isn't lost on me, though: I get it, and I'm glad I get it, and I'm glad you get it, too. Congratulations on your four 14ers, and thanks for thinking of us and taking the time to write that note.

It looks like it actually got a lot worse overnight for a lot of people... I sure hope that all of you affected by this find a safe and dry place to land.

Postby jsdratm » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:08 am

I live in Gunbarrel, so I am quite a ways away from Boulder Creek and haven't seen any serious flooding up here. However, it looks like Boulder itself, Longmont, and especially Lyons and Estes Park are in a lot of pain. I think we will need a lot of volunteer work to repair the hiking trails in the county and city open space, so maybe consider volunteering when the opportunity comes. The roads are also going to be in very bad shape for a while. I'm not sure how the Estes Park situation will play out if the only remaining road is Trail Ridge and winter is approaching. Maybe they can quickly repair the washouts or put in temporary bridges army style?

US36 Between Lyons and Estes Park:

Postby Tortoise1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:36 am

Strange times - there was only two cars at Guanella Pass yesterday midday. Somebody had solitude on Bierstadt in mid-September.

Postby lodgling » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:48 am

How was G pass? With the I-70 closure I am looking at it as an alternative to get to WP.

Postby Jeff Valliere » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:48 am

I posted a bunch of pictures from Boulder on my blog:

http://jeffvalliere.blogspot.com/2013/09/thursday-091213-flood-photos.html

I ran Green on Weds evening and some of it on Thursday and the trails were creeks and word is that there has been a good bit of damage. Looks like OSMP is now closed:

https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp

Postby HikerCurt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:55 am

I feel similiar to the orgional post. I just returned home after my annual hiatius to CO to climb in the mountains. Just a couple days ago I was trying to figure out a way to retire early and looking at Estes Park real estate on Zillow. I recently relocated to CA from MI, I wanted to move to CO but the company I work for doesn't have any oppurtunites in CO so at least CA has some great mountains.

CO is a special place and I'll live there some day, my thoughts and best wishes to all those affected by the rain. People come first, everything else will be taken care in due time.

Postby scalba123 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:53 am

jsdratm wrote:I live in Gunbarrel, so I am quite a ways away from Boulder Creek and haven't seen any serious flooding up here. However, it looks like Boulder itself, Longmont, and especially Lyons and Estes Park are in a lot of pain. I think we will need a lot of volunteer work to repair the hiking trails in the county and city open space, so maybe consider volunteering when the opportunity comes. The roads are also going to be in very bad shape for a while. I'm not sure how the Estes Park situation will play out if the only remaining road is Trail Ridge and winter is approaching. Maybe they can quickly repair the washouts or put in temporary bridges army style?

US36 Between Lyons and Estes Park:

Wow...I was on that road three weeks ago for vacation.

Postby SteveBonowski » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:03 am

Jonathan (jsdratm) and I were on that road last Sunday with a CMC group hiking up in the Park. I don't think we'll be in Estes for a while. For the guy planning to vacation here next week, more rain is in the forecast through the weekend. Next week on Front Range is drying out and much warmer, but the mountain forecast as of yesterday was for some continuing rain.

PreviousNext