Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Monsoon Flow Continues

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Monsoon Flow Continues

Postby Doctor No » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:19 pm

San Juan Ron wrote:Never a good sign when the Coast Guard is coming to Colorado. SJ Ron :shock: :shock:

ObSeinfeld: I could be a land guy. Someone's have to unhook the boat before it leaves...the place!

Postby geojed » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:23 pm

Another crazy flash flood event turned out to be the heaviest 24hr rain event recorded in US history.

It was the Thrall flood of Sept 1921. The remnant of a hurricane stalled out over Taylor and Thrall, Texas which is just NE of Austin, TX.

U.S. Weather Bureau station at Thrall, TX

23.4 in. during 6 hrs
31.8 in. during 12 hrs
36.4 in. during 18 hrs
38.2 in. during 24 hrs

This is actually still the national official 24-hr rainfall record. The storm total was 39.7 in. during 36 hrs

So, imagine putting your trash can outside and having it almost completely FULL just from rain a day later!

As a result of this rainfall event the Little River (ironic name huh?) crested in Cameron, TX at a maximum flow rate of 647,000cfs! In comparison, the average flow rate for the Mississippi River is ONLY a measly 593,000cfs. Also, the confluence of the San Gabriel River and Brushy Creek just south of Cameron, TX was 10 mi wide!

215 people drowned statewide due to this storm system, which also makes it the deadliest in Texas state history.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby bohlsen » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:26 pm

jsdratm wrote:There was a picture posted on 9news of at least half of 36 washed out west of Lyons, so I wouldn't be surprised if the whole road washed out somewhere. It sounds like the hiking trails in Boulder are taking a big hit, with severe damage to the Mesa Trail in certain areas.

Where'd you see this? I've been looking for info or pics on the St Vrain but haven't seen anything about 36.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Postby rijaca » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:36 pm

bohlsen wrote:
jsdratm wrote:There was a picture posted on 9news of at least half of 36 washed out west of Lyons, so I wouldn't be surprised if the whole road washed out somewhere. It sounds like the hiking trails in Boulder are taking a big hit, with severe damage to the Mesa Trail in certain areas.

Where'd you see this? I've been looking for info or pics on the St Vrain but haven't seen anything about 36.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Kiefer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:40 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:
peter303 wrote:Short way to Estes Park destroyed? The paper said the 36 at Longmont Dam Road is completely gone.

I can't even get cotrip.org to load!

Apparently you can go through RMNP and Grand Lake to get to Estes. RMNP Web site says Old Fall River Road is closed, but not Trail Ridge. Wonder if they're still charging people $20 to take the only way out.

ONLY Trail Ridge Road is open. Wild basin is closed. Old Fall River Road is closed. Bear Lake Road is closed.
Trail Ridge is the ONLY way in/out of Estes Park. And even then, the park service is closing TRR intermitingly due to
numerous rock and mudslides.
Once the temp drops below 32, they'll more than likely close it entirely.

All phone service here in town is down. We have no LAN service and no cell service.

And I heard earlier this morning, once they've completely evacuated all Big Thompson Cyn, they're opening up all the spillways on Olympus Dam. :shock: The lake is at capacity. More HEAVY rain is expected around 4:30pm through tonight.

The bridge at the bottom of the hill near Pinewood Springs is partially washed out.
Last edited by Kiefer on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby spiderman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:45 pm

ChrisinAZ wrote:This weather is indeed really frustrating...I have no idea if Snowmass is going to happen this weekend now, or even the rest of the year for that matter...I'm glad we're no longer in drought conditions, but seriously--enough is enough!

Was just telling a friend that I had a bad feeling this month was going to go straight from monsoon season to snow...this is one time I would hate to be right =/

You know what this early snow season in Colorado means Chris... climbing 5,000'-Prominence peaks in Utah and Nevada, or perhaps driving to Orlando to bag the majestic Sugarloaf Mountain!

Postby jsdratm » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:57 pm

Denver Post has video of 7 washed out (road completely gone) 10 miles west of Lyons. Looks like access to Estes Park will be quite challenging for some time.

http://www.tout.com/m/o12igv

Postby Tory Wells » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:00 pm

jsdratm wrote:...Looks like access to Estes Park will be quite challenging for some time.

But couldn't one just take 36, or 34, or 72 instead?
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby jsdratm » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Tory Wells wrote:
jsdratm wrote:...Looks like access to Estes Park will be quite challenging for some time.

36 is also at least halfway washed out near Lyons, not sure about 34 or 72. We have no idea what condition the canyon roads near Boulder are, so access to 72 could be challenging, at least from Boulder.

Postby madbuck » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Tory Wells wrote:

Here's a map of closed roads in/into Larimer Co, from the Coloradoan newspaper.
(CDOT wasn't loading for me)

It doesn't distinguish which roads are damaged/likely to stay closed for days, but looks pretty bleak for accessing Estes from the East.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:11 pm

jsdratm wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:

36 is also at least halfway washed out near Lyons, not sure about 34 or 72. We have no idea what condition the canyon roads near Boulder are, so access to 72 could be challenging, at least from Boulder.

34 has large undercuts in several areas. Doesn't look like any one section has been destroyed (yet) but I'd doubt they even allow one-lane traffic for a while.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Latest TR: Nokhu Crags

Postby Tony1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Highway 72 has actually washed out, so nobody will be driving on that one for a while.

PreviousNext