Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Monsoon Flow Continues

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Monsoon Flow Continues

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:35 pm

I think we'll get clearing next week. You could see this week coming and it was pretty clear this wasn't going to be a normal monsoon event. I incorrectly thought it was going to be more similar to an early winter storm, and only be 2-3 days. Coupled with the amount of moisture, the warmer temps and upslope flow are impressive.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all in Boulder, EP, and areas receiving damaging rains and floods.

Here in Springs, GG and Cheyenne Canyon were closed earlier today, Manitou Springs is closed, Highway 24 is closed. The washouts on High Drive are not as bad as they were in August 2010, but the amount of water remains impressive.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:10 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:
San Juan Ron wrote:Never a good sign when the Coast Guard is coming to Colorado. SJ Ron :shock: :shock:

I heard that too on Channel 9 but it's actually the National Guard. We're not quite at the point where the Front Range has turned into an ocean.

Actually it is probably BOTH guards.

Having endured and observed record flooding in the landlocked Red River Valley of ND/MN in 1978, 1979 and 1997, I can state the Coast Guard is a major player when the river achieves major stages along the main stem. Even before the river speads out more than 20 miles wide in places - as occurred in 1997. They have watercraft and expertise to patrol this runaway river.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Yikes » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:26 am

How's the rain in the Durango area? Heading to Chicago Basin in a week and would prefer not to see the train tracks wiped out again.

Postby benners » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:26 am

Yikes wrote:How's the rain in the Durango area? Heading to Chicago Basin in a week and would prefer not to see the train tracks wiped out again.

On and off rain in the afternoon with long bouts of sunshine for the past few days, at least in town. I talked to a campground owner in Silverton who said it's been the same up there (primarily raining in the afternoon) and she confirmed there hasn't been any road closures in the area to her knowledge. The rain down here seems more normal; still heavy at times but not enough to cause apocalyptic flooding, road closures, etc.

Postby larkinrx2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:10 pm

SkaredShtles wrote:
12ersRule wrote:<snip>
Everyone talks about the weather, but no one does anything about it.

Fixed it........

put new tires on the wife's car and now its blue and sunny in castle rock.

now the first person to mow their lawn or wash their car will F it for the rest of us =;
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Re: Decalibron Loop This Weekend?

Postby saraek » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:33 pm

The weather seems to be okay in the Alma area but I can't find reports about the trails around Mt Democrat and the other 3 peaks (Mt Cameron, Mt Lincoln, and Mt Bross) to complete the Decalibron loop.

I'm no expert so I'd appreciate any feedback about whether doing the loop is advisable this weekend (tomorrow--Saturday or Sunday)? A little mud is no big deal but a mudslide situation with a 2wd car might be sketchy.

Postby jdorje » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Lots of rain in the crestone area. Very good rain too...drizzling for days rather than all in one thunderstorm. The weather reminds me of the Appalachians. Willow Creek is the highest I've ever seen it but overall erosion is low. No snow yet, which is incredibly surprising.

Postby PaliKona » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:54 pm

What's going on in Summit? Fairly dry?

Postby danimarie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:19 pm

summit is a little damp. been watching the weather - was contemplating postponing backpacking into the gores tmrw but i think im going to go ahead. it's supposed to be clearing up beginning tmrw afternoon.

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:37 pm

PaliKona wrote:What's going on in Summit? Fairly dry?

Same as it has been all week, maybe a bit better today. Peaks are in and out of the clouds. Valleys getting occasional sun until the afteroon, then steady rains. No snow anywhere. Today you would have been fine hiking with the usual early start.

Now considering nothing is getting up I-70, I need to make a City Market run before the "weekend" starts.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Theodore » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:07 pm

Princeton was very nice this morning minus my busted radiator hose 100 yards from the antennas... only hiked the road to the stairs before guilt of putting off the car repairs took over. Felt great, nice morning.

Postby peter303 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:10 pm

The clouds have cleared and it is the clearest day in Denver in months.
The rain has washed out all the Forest Fire smoke.

PreviousNext