Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

AZ wildfires, 19 killed

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: AZ wildfires, 19 killed

Postby mtgirl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:21 am

Tortoise1 wrote:The average age was actually 26. Average age of 22 wouldn't likely be considered an elite group which by all accounts they were. There was one 43 year old and four guys in their 30s. Youngest was 21. It's been a long time but my recollection is that "Young Men and Fire" is a very good book. May they rest in peace.

Yes, you are correct. Early morning news reports stated the average age was 22. Saw that was incorrect last night when the names and ages of the fallen were posted. Regardless, still tragic. My heart goes out to their families.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Re: AZ wildfires, 19 killed

Postby MUni Rider » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:37 am

tbonesaredelicious wrote:Positive thoughts? I highly doubt they are there to protect the wilderness.

As a volunteer firefighter, I have been on several wildland fires. True that the media focuses more on structures and lives lost, and we do indeed try to save lives, homes and structures. But I greatly enjoy my time in the outdoors and saving some of my favorite areas around my home (Wetmore, Royal Gorge, Newland Creek) is a huge priority. Hiking in the mountains and trails around my home is a little little different after it's burnt, to say the least.

My thoughts go out to the loved ones of those lost in this tragedy.

With those 19, having to deploy their emergency shelters tells how bad it got in there. Conditions must have been extreme, obviously. My condolences.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Previous