Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

AZ wildfires, 19 killed

Colorado wildfires and flooding

AZ wildfires, 19 killed

Postby Shawnee Bob » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:49 pm

This story makes you appreciate the guys who fight wildfires. Echoes of Storm King Mountain in Arizona tonight. Peace to those who lost loved ones fighting fires.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Official_19_firefighters_die_battling_Arizona_fire/20130630_298_0_YARNEL927899
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/

Re: AZ wildfires, 19 killed

Postby zinj » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:14 am

I feel sick.
"Gentlemen, you are piling up a heritage of conflict and litigation over water rights, for there is not sufficient water to supply the land." - John Wesley Powell, 1883

Postby Hungry Jack » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:20 am

Terrible story. Storm King and Mann Gulch (profiled in "Young Men and Fire" by Norman McLean) come to mind.

Seems so unnecessary for these crews to take these types of risks.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby Scott P » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:30 am

Terrible. RIP.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby mtgirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:33 am

19 out of the 20 man crew were killed. Average age......22. Completely heartbreaking. :cry:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby Steve Climber » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:55 am

I heard a brief blip last night that there had been an incident...heard the full story this morning...heartbreaking.

Thank you to all the men and women holding the lines out there. Your service is amazing and appreciated.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Bill Cummings » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:58 am

Very sad to hear this. These are folks that help make possible our way of life and the things we love to do--climbing, hiking, camping, traveling, sightseeing, photography, and just being out there. When things are good, their work is hot, hard, miserable, and often horrific. When things are bad, this stuff happens.
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang

Postby Shawnee Bob » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:33 pm

mtgirl wrote:19 out of the 20 man crew were killed. Average age......22. Completely heartbreaking. :cry:

Wow. I think about all the things I've seen and done between age 22 and now, and it's the same feeling I get about young folks who die at war, all the things they'll never get to experience. You hit it on the head. Heartbreaking in every way.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/

Postby Tortoise1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:28 pm

The average age was actually 26. Average age of 22 wouldn't likely be considered an elite group which by all accounts they were. There was one 43 year old and four guys in their 30s. Youngest was 21. It's been a long time but my recollection is that "Young Men and Fire" is a very good book. May they rest in peace.

Postby Finkleschwamp » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:59 pm

Definitely sickening news. If anyone feels so inclined, there is a non-profit doing great things for the families of these heroic men: http://www.wffoundation.org/ They have a "52 Club", just a dollar a week...

Certainly a day to realize how blessed you are and make sure you are living life to the fullest!
RIP Granite Mountain Hotshots
LP' O' FTH

Postby James Dziezynski » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:35 pm

Hotshot crews are on another level, they are tight knit, tough as nails and gritty as it gets. I've been lucky enough to interview a few crews here in Colorado. I have nothing but respect for wilderness fire crews. Heck, I complain when it gets over 80 degrees with shorts on. These guys are on the front lines, often on little to no sleep, in the heart of the furnace and taking on one of the most powerful manifestations of nature. The training and dedication they have is on par with elite military groups.

I can't even begin to fathom how dreadful the incident must have been. These guys are smart and extremely well trained, it's just heart wrenching to hear the news. So... positive thoughts to the family and friends and raise a glass for those people willing to protect and save the wilderness we all love.
Check out my book Best Summit Hikes in Colorado at http://www.mountainouswords.com

Postby tbonesaredelicious » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Positive thoughts? I highly doubt they are there to protect the wilderness.

Next