Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Chicago Basin in the San Juans

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Chicago Basin in the San Juans

Postby herdbull » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:23 pm

just got out tonight and the only smoke was saturday and that left with an afternoon sprinkle and wind shift. Not a hint of haze all weekend. Bring your trail runners cause you'll need them to outrun the goats :-D . They are in this drainage by the hundreds.

Postby MountainSlayer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:09 am

Good to hear. Wifey & I will be taking the 8:00 AM train to Needleton TH on the 4th, and intend on bringing salt sticks and building a sleigh so that a very select group of said goats can pull us to the top of Sunlight, Windom, Eolus Squared, Aztec, Jupiter, and Peak 11.

Postby cory1223oh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:19 am

Not aiming to derail this thread, but didn't want to start a new one.

I'm planning on heading to Chicago Basin Aug. 1-4. How far in advance should we buy tickets for the train? Is this something that can be done the week of, or should I get on this now?

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:01 am

cory1223oh wrote:Not aiming to derail this thread, but didn't want to start a new one.

I'm planning on heading to Chicago Basin Aug. 1-4. How far in advance should we buy tickets for the train? Is this something that can be done the week of, or should I get on this now?

Do it now. We booked two weeks ago for the 7th-10th and the train only had a few seats left.

Postby MountainSlayer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:02 am

cory1223oh wrote:Not aiming to derail this thread, but didn't want to start a new one.

And the cancellation and/or change-of-date policy is only a $6 fee per ticket.

Postby YEONDERIN » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:51 am

Ok here is my update Cara. We went in from Silverton on Saturday 29th and came out yesterday the 4th. There was some road work between Gunnison and Montrose that stopped traffic for 20 minute intervals. There was a little smoke haze in Silverton but none in the basin or on peaks the whole time except for a couple idiots with campfires going. The climbs were hot and dry with only a very light sprinkle one morning. Very little snow anywhere, creeks are much lower than norm. Have fun!
Life and death are only a breath away, no matter where you are...
Living is only a breath away in the high country !

Being lost is a state on mind not a location of the body...
if you always are where you want to be then you can never get lost.

NEVER GROW OLD.....YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT ! (John Wayne)

Postby jeffddodd » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:00 pm

The wife and I are headed into Chicago Basin on the 9th of July, how is the area for smoke/fires right now?. It seams to be pretty wet the last few days so hopefully it will be clear skies :P How long should we expect for the hike in to the basin? i know its 6 miles or so, but how strenuous is the hike? and any good side trails??

Thanks all

Postby Cara Benson » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:24 pm

YEONDERIN wrote:Ok here is my update Cara. We went in from Silverton on Saturday 29th and came out yesterday the 4th. There was some road work between Gunnison and Montrose that stopped traffic for 20 minute intervals. There was a little smoke haze in Silverton but none in the basin or on peaks the whole time except for a couple idiots with campfires going. The climbs were hot and dry with only a very light sprinkle one morning. Very little snow anywhere, creeks are much lower than norm. Have fun!

Thank you YEONDERIN - much appreciated. We switched plans as when we would have booked train tix the smoke cover was significant. Leaving Sunday for the four pass loop in the Elks instead. Sad to miss the Basin this trip.

Postby Wanderlust » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:00 pm

I am heading to Basin on the train July 15th. Looks like roads (160) has reopened. Guessing trails are very melted out and no ice axes or microspikes needed. Any updated trail reports or fire reports would be appreciated!

Postby evolve » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Left Chicago Basin today. No need for axe or traction. A little hazy the last couple of days but certainly not smoky. Weather was consistently holding until afternoon at which point light rain and thunderstorms came through. There was a solid rain last night. Mosquitoes are in full force. I leave you with a goat...

ChicagoBasin-Goat.jpg
ChicagoBasin-Goat.jpg (263.08 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Postby CoulCat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:33 pm

I took the train in to the Needleton TH on June 27. Stayed one day and caught a few peaks. Woke up in the middle of the night on the 28th and couldn't breathe due to the smoke. The moon was red and the ash was falling in the sky that night. The entire basin was smokey; we packed up camp to catch the train to get out one day early and was bummed we didn't get Jupiter. Not sure where it is now but hopefully it has cleared!
Only those that attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible. ~Albert Einstein~

Previous