Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Chicago Basin in the San Juans

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Chicago Basin in the San Juans

Postby seth0687 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:07 pm

herdbull wrote:I'm on the 8:45 am train tomorrow and coming out on Tuesday. Sitting in Durango now killing time at the library. If I can I'll give you an update on Tuesday or Wednesday.

That would be awesome man, I'd love to be able to do the whole trip in trail runners....which from what I gather is going to be easily doable.

Cheers,

Seth

Postby gonzalj » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:36 pm

I'm just returning from chicago basin. It started getting really hazy yesterdau, but there's no access issues.

Postby theycallmethesloth » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:56 pm

The weather looks pretty rough for Chicago basin this weekend. Is anyone headed up there. I'm probably leaving tomorrow depending how the weather is.

Postby Cara Benson » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:27 am

gonzalj wrote:I'm just returning from chicago basin. It started getting really hazy yesterdau, but there's no access issues.

I'm assuming you mean hazy from smoke rather than solely weather. Sigh.

Thanks everyone for responding so far. Here's hoping for good rain to heal the area.

Postby gonzalj » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:31 am

Cara Benson wrote:
gonzalj wrote:I'm just returning from chicago basin. It started getting really hazy yesterdau, but there's no access issues.

I'm assuming you mean hazy from smoke rather than solely weather. Sigh.

Thanks everyone for responding so far. Here's hoping for good rain to heal the area.

Yes, that's what I meant. I was about to post a TR, but my images are too large right now and I'm trying to find a way to reduce the size on my laptop considering I don't have photoshop on it to reduce the file sizes. Any suggestions?

Postby nyker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:43 am

I am in Durango right now. Some haze in distance. Air appears clear but that could change if wind shifts and i dont smell smoke. Weather doesnt look great today/tomorrow to be up high; looks better mon and tuesday and out.

Postby Tortoise1 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:00 am

gonzalj wrote:
Cara Benson wrote:
gonzalj wrote:I was about to post a TR, but my images are too large right now and I'm trying to find a way to reduce the size on my laptop considering I don't have photoshop on it to reduce the file sizes. Any suggestions?

Picasa, Google's photo editing software, a free download, does a nice job of downsizing groups of pictures, as well as other tasks.

http://picasa.google.com/

PS - the smoke just rolled into Ouray over night, not real thick but to me too thick for hiking.

Postby nyker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:30 pm

A bit more haze in Durango today with slight odor of smoke. Lot of thunder and lightning around some showers. Not the best to be up high..tomorrow supposed be similar conditions with monday starting to improve.

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Just got back from Chicago Basin yesterday. A handful of extremely minor snowcrossings still exist in the lower areas of Twin Lakes Basin, everything can be easily done in trail runners. Clouds started to build everyday around 12:00 like clockwork, with minor thunder occurring around 2:00. Basin was surprisingly warm for this time of the year.

Purgatory Trail is in great shape too.

Postby seth0687 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:30 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Just got back from Chicago Basin yesterday. A handful of extremely minor snowcrossings still exist in the lower areas of Twin Lakes Basin, everything can be easily done in trail runners. Clouds started to build everyday around 12:00 like clockwork, with minor thunder occurring around 2:00. Basin was surprisingly warm for this time of the year.

Thanks man, this is exactly what I was hoping for!!!

Cheers,

Seth

Postby Cara Benson » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Just got back from Chicago Basin yesterday. A handful of extremely minor snowcrossings still exist in the lower areas of Twin Lakes Basin, everything can be easily done in trail runners. Clouds started to build everyday around 12:00 like clockwork, with minor thunder occurring around 2:00. Basin was surprisingly warm for this time of the year.

Any smoke?

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Definitely expect smoke, it is really hazy in the area today too.

PreviousNext