Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: West Fork Fire

Postby Cthulhu 2008 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks SJ Ron.

We'll give it a go.
Cthulhu 2008 - Why Vote For A Lesser Evil

Postby rocky » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:45 pm

Sleeping at home for the first night since 6/20. We are still on "pre-evacuation orders" but have confidence and hopes that the fire will not threaten South Fork again.

Sending love and prayers to the families, friends and co-workers of the Granite Mountain Hotshots - heroes all.
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby rocky » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:39 am

This was taken yesterday as the Papoose Fire moved into stands of beetle-kill and old logging slash. Fortunately it was not in the vicinity of any structures. (photo was posted on incident command's photobucket with no credit given to the photographer)

troutcreekplumejuly3rd.jpg
troutcreekplumejuly3rd.jpg (122.39 KiB) Viewed 610 times
rocky
south fork, colorado

Location: Way Up High In The Mountains (On The Alpine Loop) And Down By The Sea (In San Clemente)

Postby San Juan Ron » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Papoose gained 11k acres yesterday with the West Fork Fire Complex now at 106k acres. Containment at 16%. This fire is creeping up on the Hayman fire in total acres. SJ Ron

Postby dstickn1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Any updates regarding San Luis? Was hoping to climb it on the 8th. Thanks,

Postby rocky » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:02 pm

Any updates regarding San Luis? Was hoping to climb it on the 8th. Thanks,

Here is the link which shows closures on the Forests. Perimeter roads marked on the map are open with the exception of Park Creek Rd which remains closed.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5426768.pdf

The farthest north the Forest closure goes is at Spring Creek Pass on CO-Hwy 149. The closure then follows Hwy 149 south and east down to South Fork.

San Luis isn't in the closure, nor is Stewart Creek Trailhead. For the past couple of days, the wind has been pushing the smoke west and south. Pagosa Springs and even Durango have been getting the smoke. If the winds change again, San Luis could get smoke from the Papoose Fire.
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby zinj » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:10 pm

Looks like the Papoose fire gobbled up a bunch more acerage....

http://www.geomac.gov/index.shtml

I had to compare to previous day's maps (google, other sources) to see the big advance in the SE lobe of the fire.

San Luis looks to be fine...as is Creede.
"Gentlemen, you are piling up a heritage of conflict and litigation over water rights, for there is not sufficient water to supply the land." - John Wesley Powell, 1883

Postby rocky » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:18 pm

GeoMac is a great way to watch the fires' growth.

Papoose grew by just over 12,000 acres yesterday!
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby Furthermore » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:30 pm

I had the opportunity to fly over the fire last night which was pretty wild. The fire was emitting enough light to take some photos. I guess there are some decent things about working the night shift. Ok, maybe not.

IMG_7162.JPG
IMG_7162.JPG (68.84 KiB) Viewed 466 times

IMG_7161.JPG
IMG_7161.JPG (76.09 KiB) Viewed 466 times

Postby Gphunk88 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:32 am

Does anyone know if Wundermap is still showing where the smoke is going? I've been checking this for the last week but it seems that there is no smoke being emitted from this fire at the moment??? I personally don't believe that at all. I am just curious as to where the smoke is going and if it still showing up on Wundermap. Thanks for any info. I am climbing Culebra on Sunday so I just wanted to check if I will be dealing with smoke
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."~~~ John Muir

Postby jdorje » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Yes, wundermap always shows where the smoke is going. It's read automatically from satellite. The satellites in question only pass over every 12-36 hours though. I think.

If it shows nothing, try adjusting the time, perhaps going back an hour or a day.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby Vincopotamus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:19 pm

I don't know anything about wunderground, but I have been part of a crew that's been monitoring the fire from near the West Fork TH, and can say that with the exception of the 12,000 acre rip from papoose on Wednesday, the wetter and cooler weather has kept the fire very quiet. Very little perimeter growth, and mostly just heavy dead and down logs burning which put up relatively little white smoke that drifts away fairly quickly. Its when trees start torching and making crown runs that you get heavy black smoke that builds columns that would show on satellite images.

PreviousNext