Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

West Fork Fire

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: West Fork Fire

Postby zinj » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Okay, that last map also failed to get updated. Here is the best map I've found so far -- you "layer" on day by day to see how the fire has progressed and where the recent growth areas are:

West Fork Complex Fire:

http://coloradofiremaps.com/maps/West__Fork_Complex.html
"Gentlemen, you are piling up a heritage of conflict and litigation over water rights, for there is not sufficient water to supply the land." - John Wesley Powell, 1883

Postby COFireMapsdotcom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:00 pm

zinj; I run/update the ColoradoFireMaps.com site. If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve it, I welcome the input.

We do our best to update the maps as soon as possible, but unfortunately I have to work a day job to pay the bills. My wife helps out a lot of the time, but she's looking after a 5 month old & often has her hands full.

Friday night there were no updates for the Colorado fires, as the IR plane was unable to launch due to weather, so there weren't any updates over the weekend.

We're pretty good and keeping perimeters updated with the latest information, but feel free to let me know how I can improve the site.

-Mark

Postby mountainjam » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:49 pm

Does anyone know if the trail for Rio Grande Pyramid is open (standard route from Rio Grande Reservoir Trailhead)? I called the local Forest Service but they couldn't seem to give me an exact answer. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
The future is no place to place your better days. - Dave Matthews

Postby Jon Frohlich » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:54 pm

mountainjam wrote:Does anyone know if the trail for Rio Grande Pyramid is open (standard route from Rio Grande Reservoir Trailhead)? I called the local Forest Service but they couldn't seem to give me an exact answer. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I don't see how it could be open based on the maps I've seen. The fire is burning on both sides of the road and almost on top of the reservoir. I'd be very surprised if you could get there right now.

Postby tripfour » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:32 pm

mountainjam wrote:Does anyone know if the trail for Rio Grande Pyramid is open (standard route from Rio Grande Reservoir Trailhead)? I called the local Forest Service but they couldn't seem to give me an exact answer. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

FS 520 is currently closed. http://hinsdalecountycolorado.us/fire_info.html (road closures on upper right)

Postby zinj » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:06 pm

COFireMapsdotcom wrote:zinj; I run/update the ColoradoFireMaps.com site. If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve it, I welcome the input.

We do our best to update the maps as soon as possible, but unfortunately I have to work a day job to pay the bills. My wife helps out a lot of the time, but she's looking after a 5 month old & often has her hands full.

Friday night there were no updates for the Colorado fires, as the IR plane was unable to launch due to weather, so there weren't any updates over the weekend.

We're pretty good and keeping perimeters updated with the latest information, but feel free to let me know how I can improve the site.

-Mark

Thanks! I found out (separately) that weather grounded the planes so that no data was available over the weekend. I did find ColoradoFireMaps.com has the most up-to-date info. Some of the press articles link to maps that update and some do not -- kind of a crap shoot. So now I'm just going to your website directly. I guess my only suggestion would be that I wish I knew about you first rather than finding you through trial and error as I did.

In any case, I'm now dialed into you guys first and maybe other people will be too as a result of these posts? Maybe?
"Gentlemen, you are piling up a heritage of conflict and litigation over water rights, for there is not sufficient water to supply the land." - John Wesley Powell, 1883

Postby rocky » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:53 pm

This was posted on the West Fork Fire Blog-spot today:

Clarification on Weminuche Wilderness Closure
July 1, 2013
Due to fire activity, the Weminuche Wilderness is closed to public entry on the Rio Grande National Forest on the east side of the Continental Divide. The portion of the Wilderness on San Juan National Forest, west of the Continental Divide, remains open.
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby rocky » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:01 pm

This is where you can get the official updates about the West Fork Complex Fires:

http://westforkfirecomplex.blogspot.com/

There are links to updates, the most recent perimeter maps (based on previous night's IR flight), and evacuations and closures.
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby rocky » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Another good way to look at the fire perimeter maps is: http://www.geomac.gov/index.shtml

From "view perimeters", click on "view KML" - this will allow you to download kml files from different dates and to open them with Google Earth.
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby zinj » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:14 am

Cool tip on GeoMac -- looks like there is no data posted for 7/1

Somedays there isn't an update I guess

Postby Cthulhu 2008 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:56 pm

I am thinking Cataract Lake and Half Peak should have open access and, with prevailing winds from the west, should be fine from an air quality standpoint. Has anyone been up there recently or have an opinion?

Thanks!
Cthulhu 2008 - Why Vote For A Lesser Evil

Location: Way Up High In The Mountains (On The Alpine Loop) And Down By The Sea (In San Clemente)

Postby San Juan Ron » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:12 pm

There have been a couple days when Cat Lake and the Half Peak areas have had some smoke -- but most days it's been fine. We had a couple days last week (Thu & Fri) when the smoke seemed to disperse everywhere. It just depends on the winds and which way the t-storms push the smoke. SJ Ron :(

PreviousNext