Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sangres - Wildfire Effect?

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Sangres - Wildfire Effect?

Postby Beagle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:10 am

If anyone has climbed Blanca or that group recently I'd like to know if smoke from the wildfires is affecting the air quality (breathing) or if there are any other impacts the fires are having on the area as far as travel, etc. Thanks - Beagle
This is my religion. This is my church. These are my cathedrals.

"Summiting is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter Thompson

Re: Sangres - Wildfire Effect?

Postby oldschoolczar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:25 am

I would just keep an eye on the smoke coverage maps (wunderground wundermap is my preference) and have a Plan B!

We were driving to hike Humboldt last Friday from Denver and called it when we got to Canon City... I'd never seen smoke so thick from wildfires. Watched the sun disappear as my eyes were burning and that was enough to turn around. I remembered the northern Sawatch was relatively smoke free on the map earlier that day so we headed up and hiked Missouri Mountain instead. Didn't set up camp until midnight (1500' up the trail), but it was much better than sleeping/hiking/exerting in thick smoke!

Good luck.. I've got Crestone on the radar for Saturday... looking for a solid plan B though because it still looks like it could get nasty down there depending on wind.
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby Beagle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:43 am

oldschoolczar wrote:I would just keep an eye on the smoke coverage maps (wunderground wundermap is my preference) and have a Plan B!

We were driving to hike Humboldt last Friday from Denver and called it when we got to Canon City... I'd never seen smoke so thick from wildfires. Watched the sun disappear as my eyes were burning and that was enough to turn around. I remembered the northern Sawatch was relatively smoke free on the map earlier that day so we headed up and hiked Missouri Mountain instead. Didn't set up camp until midnight (1500' up the trail), but it was much better than sleeping/hiking/exerting in thick smoke!

Good luck.. I've got Crestone on the radar for Saturday... looking for a solid plan B though because it still looks like it could get nasty down there depending on wind.

Thanks oldschoolczar….thinking of turning our attention to the north…Plan B as you say. Thanks - Beagle

Postby Breckskier » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:43 am

We were up at Lake Como last weekend and the smoke stayed just to the north. On the hike up the road it looked like it was going to move in on us but luckily the winds switched and it blew out again. The Crestones seemed clear on Sunday as well but they were definitely flirting with the smoke a bit more. It all depends on the winds, if it keeps blowing to the NE the the southern end of the Sangres will probably be okay.

Salida and the Southern Sawatch were pretty socked in on the drive home on Sunday as well.
Attachments
Como Smoke 6-22-13.jpg
Como Smoke 6-22-13.jpg (65.23 KiB) Viewed 227 times
"If you don't do it this year you'll only be 1 year older when you do." -Warren Miller

Postby jdorje » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:47 am

It its definitely hazy and smokey but nothing like last weekend. most of it is to the north of the blanca group. Still, I assume it will improve so if you are driving in you might want to go elsewhere this weekend.

Postby Beagle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 am

Thanks guys….great pic Breckskier

Postby djmclucas » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:58 am

I was also there this past weekend doing blanca and ellingwood. It was definitely better in the mornings as the sky was pretty clear. In the evenings it did block out the sun and you coukd smell a hint of smoke but overall it wasnt bad. And id just make sure the winds stay blowing north.The crestone peaks on the other hand were drowning in smoke all day. Just use your best judgment. When I went we were ready to turn around should the smoke start moving in.