Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

smoke in the Sangres

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: smoke in the Sangres

Postby jdorje » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Actually, the Blanca group may be clear. Crestone is on the southern end of the smoke column. Some does appear to be piling up above the dunes, but Blanca from the southwest is likely fine. Try to find a webcam view of it from Alamosa and check it during the morning and (when smoke is worst) afternoon.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby RyGuy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:59 pm

I did Mount Lindsey today. Was nice and clear until mid afternoon. Then then smoke rolled in. I doubt it will be good to climb tomorrow. The plume had blotted out the sun by about 4pm.

Postby MUni Rider » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:13 pm

jdorje wrote:
The wundermap's satellite-detected smoke and fire layers do not work well at night. To get good data, scroll back in time to mid-afternoon.

http://wxug.us/15gmv : 4pm

That did the trick. Good info. Thanks. I didn't think that sucker went out 2 hours later. I thought it was fishy when all the smoke disappears off the map at 18:00, yet it is very very thick here in the air around the Canon City/Florence area.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby Dan_Suitor » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:12 am

Here is a picture from the top of El Diente on Friday of what I believe to be the West Fork Fire. It looks huge!
Smoke.jpg
Smoke.jpg (89.1 KiB) Viewed 938 times

Postby caad4rep » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Looking for some opinions. I was planning on driving in from Minnesota on July 13th to do the Crestones. We're still 3 weeks out but is there any chance the smoke situation will be better by then? Would you suggest I start putting together a plan B?

Dang fires!

Location: Way Up High In The Mountains (On The Alpine Loop) And Down By The Sea (In San Clemente)

Postby San Juan Ron » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Usually, the monsoons arrive by early July and the fires (and smoke) are gone by mid-July. That's what happened last year. But, there are no guarantees and there is no sign of the monsoon yet. SJ Ron :)
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/twc/monsoon/dewpoint_tracker.php

Postby Mark A Steiner » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:40 pm

Last week (of June 15) one TV outlet in Phoenix gleefully reported that the monsoon season had begun. At no time did the dew point reach 55 degrees, nor sustain itself at or above this level for three days, which has been one accepted definition for a monsoon start in greater Phoenix. Seldom does this occur in PHX prior to July 4. And - bad news - temperatures usually rise to 110-118 degrees in the Valley of the Sun to help get the process going. What this may mean - this year especially with drought all across the Southwest and major fires in Colorado - before the arrival of the first showers is hard to imagine.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby semitrueskerm » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:40 pm

Drove up Friday evening.
Living down here in NM, and working around wildfires for while, I've seen my share of smoke.
Nothing compares to how eery it was round 8 PM driving north from Alamosa to Salida....
A wall of purple, white, and black stretching from the San Juans' Wolf Creek area on a distinct line to just North of the Blanca Group.
It was like a thick blanket had been pulled over the Northern half of the San Luis Valley.
The horizons were blood red.
Once in the smoke area on Highway 17, no mountains could be seen.
Smoky on up to just south of Buena Vista.

Saturday, smoke lingered in Buena Vista south.

Sunday, clear on smoke free on Mt. Massive, but could definitely see the smoke line form the summit looking south.
Driving back south on 285 around 3 pm, and just entering BV, and it was thick all the way to the Blanca Group.
Small fire burning on the Western side of the Northern Sangres as well. It's been there in some shape or form now for 3 consecutive weekends...getting progressively largers each weekend.

Hope it wasn't too back for those of you who climbed the Southern Sawatch or Sangres this weekend.

Nasty stuff.

Drove back

Postby jdorje » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Skies are blue today and yesterday, though a big haze still lies over the valley. The fire has really slowed in its spread (only 5000 new acres yesterday) and also wind is carrying more of it off to the north. Like semitrueskerm said, Friday afternoon/evening were surreal and apocalyptic (1-3 miles visibility, red skies in every direction, etc), and it got almost as bad for a brief period on Saturday.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby Bullwinkle » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Looking just beautiful in the Wet Mountain Valley tonight from the Westcliffe side.

Postby jibler » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:54 am

THinking about getting into the Sawatch Range early next week. looked at the wundermap link provided earlier, seems to be OK.

Does anyone know firsthand if any smoke is headed that way?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken", Colonel Sanders

Postby sunny1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:10 am

jibler wrote:THinking about getting into the Sawatch Range early next week. looked at the wundermap link provided earlier, seems to be OK.

Does anyone know firsthand if any smoke is headed that way?

It's too early to tell for sure. You'll need to study the locations of the current fires and wind direction closer to the date.
Wundermap/Wunderweather is one of the best, you can also review the NOAA links on here, it'll give you an idea of the wind situation.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

PreviousNext