Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Fire in Waldo Canyon

Postby EatinHardtack » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:24 am

Geez Terry you sparked a fire storm, no pun intended.

Seeing that CSPD and the CSFD have closed Palmer Park, N. Cheyenne Canyon, Red Rock Canyon and I believe GoG due to high fire danger, I would assume that the incline is closed as well. I can see Terry's argument though.

There's always hiking in Waldo Canyon if you can't get your incline fix.......oh wait? :-k
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby peter303 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:29 am

20 potential arson fires near Colorado Springs last week:
http://www.gazette.com/articles/fire-140702-ensminger-sheriff.html

Postby tmathews » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:40 am

FYI from El Paso County SAR

epcsar ‏@epcsar
Barr Trail remains closed. Barr Camp has canceled reservations through Tuesday.

Postby Oldskool70 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:54 am

tmathews wrote:KRDO is saying that the State Patrol might be reporting that the fire has crossed Hwy 24. Also -- reported pre-evacs for areas south of Woodland Park, west of Edlowe Rd. :shock:

Based on the new fire map it appears this has not happened. Lets hope not. I can think of only one place worse than Waldo's for fire... & that would be Hurricane Canyon (SW of this current fire).
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.

Postby tmathews » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 am

Oldskool70 wrote:
tmathews wrote:KRDO is saying that the State Patrol might be reporting that the fire has crossed Hwy 24. Also -- reported pre-evacs for areas south of Woodland Park, west of Edlowe Rd. :shock:

Based on the new fire map it appears this has not happened. Lets hope not. I can think of only one place worse than Waldo's for fire... & that would be Hurricane Canyon (SW of this current fire).

Yeah, it hasn't jumped the highway. I posted that over 24 hours ago. I did hear several times this morning that it has crossed Rampart Range Road in spots to the north and is spreading into Queens Canyon, though.

Postby Oldskool70 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:06 pm

tmathews wrote:
Oldskool70 wrote:

Yeah, it hasn't jumped the highway. I posted that over 24 hours ago. I did hear several times this morning that it has crossed Rampart Range Road in spots to the north and is spreading into Queens Canyon, though.

I am by no means a fire expert but Hurricane canyon would be tough... based mostly on all the fuel up there. Tons & tons of downed trees. Plus even tougher terrain & proximity to Manitou. Not like there is a 'good one' but NW to Rampart reservoir is the only good path for this beast. :(

Postby ajkagy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:17 pm

http://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_city&cityid=38

Remember to take it easy if you're outdoors in CO springs today, the air looks to be pretty bad.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Jerousek » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:27 pm

http://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_city&cityid=38

Remember to take it easy if you're outdoors in CO springs today, the air looks to be pretty bad.

What a cool resource! Great link, thanks for sharing.
“It is an honor and a privilege to be alive, however briefly, on this marvelous planet we call Earth.”
Ed Abbey

Postby Oldskool70 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Has anyone heard of any structures burned? Last I heard it was zero... But the map shows burned area over that new subdivision (I know there is a couple of homes up there) just east of Pyramid mountain in Cascade.

Postby tmathews » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Oldskool70 wrote:Has anyone heard of any structures burned? Last I heard it was zero... But the map shows burned area over that new subdivision (I know there is a couple of homes up there) just east of Pyramid mountain in Cascade.

I've been watching the news all morning. They just reported again that no structures have been lost yet. I've been hearing the MAFFS circling overhead for the past half an hour or so.

Postby Oldskool70 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Queens Canyon would be bad too. If it reaches there (like some are saying) it could roar down it (towards Glen Eyrie) if the winds change easterly (like they did yesterday) later in the day. :oops:

Postby jsdratm » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:08 pm

When I lived in the Springs I used to mountain bike on Rampart Range Road in the same area that is burning now. It is quite a shame to see it burn since it was very scenic. Waldo Canyon was also a great hike. Now that the fire is moving into Queens Canyon I hope it doesn't reach the bighorn sheep area on top of the old quarry scar or Glen Eyrie down below.

PreviousNext