Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Fire in Waldo Canyon

Postby d_baker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:14 pm

tmathews wrote:
Jerousek wrote:Tmathews, you're killing me, bud. First I'm insensitive, now I'm pretentious. I didn't mean to come off as pretentious, but when I'm attacked in the written form Its a good idea to choose words carefully when replying, especially when a misunderstanding is afoot.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't even conceive of inquiring about such a thing right now. Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow -- maybe. But, then again, I've been taught to exercise more tact and to take others' situations into account before asking. Again, I guess that's just me.

Tomorrow is only a couple of hours away. Come back and ask at 12:01am, mtn time. Then, I will answer your question without calling you an ass. :lol:

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:17 pm

d_baker wrote:
tmathews wrote:
Jerousek wrote:Tmathews, you're killing me, bud. First I'm insensitive, now I'm pretentious. I didn't mean to come off as pretentious, but when I'm attacked in the written form Its a good idea to choose words carefully when replying, especially when a misunderstanding is afoot.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't even conceive of inquiring about such a thing right now. Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow -- maybe. But, then again, I've been taught to exercise more tact and to take others' situations into account before asking. Again, I guess that's just me.

Tomorrow is only a couple of hours away. Come back and ask at 12:01am, mtn time. Then, I will answer your question without calling you an ass. :lol:

Timing is everything, Darin. :P

Postby d_baker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Oh! Look at that! Someone has a smiley face.

Postby SilverLynx » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:21 pm

Fires on top of fires. Fires within fires. :wft: Rain, please!!!
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:22 pm

d_baker wrote:Oh! Look at that! Someone has a smiley face.

It's a raspberry, dammit! :-P

Postby d_baker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:23 pm

tmathews wrote:

Oh. :thefinger: :thefinger: :thefinger:
One of those is for the fire.

Postby d_baker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:24 pm

We need a pissing emoticon thing.

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:25 pm

d_baker wrote:
tmathews wrote:

Oh. :thefinger: :thefinger: :thefinger:
One of those is for the fire.

Only one?? That's it. :fight:

:P

Postby Fisching » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:29 pm

I made a joke earlier today to a few friends about posting a link to Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire," but I didn't want to post it and seem like an insensitive/irreverent a-hole. Now, I feel deserving of that tag just for even thinking that while watching the fires progress in Springs and elsewhere around the state.

Mea Culpa
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Tommy Dorr » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:55 pm

Well either way, it's good to be back home. I was at Coronado High School for a while hanging out with the "Fire Staff". Cool people that had quite a surplus of relief supplies and a surplus of volunteer help. I had been told several times that the Manitou Evacuees were the most cooperative ever :)

I recommend visiting the area soon and spending a little money. Maybe mentioning that you're there to help mitigate the hiccup in revenue will help build spirits. The Safeway on Colorado and 32nd could use a couple of bucks too. That was the emergency services hub for most of yesterday.

Good mojo, ya know
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:59 pm

Tommy Dorr wrote:Well either way, it's good to be back home. I was at Coronado High School for a while hanging out with the "Fire Staff". Cool people that had quite a surplus of relief supplies and a surplus of volunteer help. I had been told several times that the Manitou Evacuees were the most cooperative ever :)

I recommend visiting the area soon and spending a little money. Maybe mentioning that you're there to help mitigate the hiccup in revenue will help build spirits. The Safeway on Colorado and 32nd could use a couple of bucks too. That was the emergency services hub for most of yesterday.

Good mojo, ya know

Glad you and your home are safe, Tommy. =D>

Postby Tommy Dorr » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:36 pm

tmathews wrote:
Tommy Dorr wrote:Well either way, it's good to be back home. I was at Coronado High School for a while hanging out with the "Fire Staff". Cool people that had quite a surplus of relief supplies and a surplus of volunteer help. I had been told several times that the Manitou Evacuees were the most cooperative ever :)

Good mojo, ya know

Glad you and your home are safe, Tommy. =D>

Thanks dude. Nobody was trippin. It was just kinda hard to find places for people to go. Kids, pets, etc. Hopefully our statewide (and national) community will start to realize the importance that fire has in the ecosystem and it's something that we need to slowly re-introduce. The ecosystem depends on fire and disrupting that balance is very unhealthy and, as we see every "fire season", can be dangerous and costly.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

PreviousNext