Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Fire in Waldo Canyon

Postby Jerousek » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Jerousek wrote:I read that they're letting folks back into Manitou. If the smoke isn't too awful tomorrow, think access to the incline will be open?

Really -- is that what you're f***ing worrying about right now?? Get your priorities straight. I have friends who STILL can't get to their homes. :x

It goes without saying that this is a massively unfortunate situation. I have friends and co-workers in the same boat. Things being what they are, I fail to see how asking about trail access and the consequences of breathing in smoke should offend you, or those that are effected by the fire. You're doing yourself a disservice to assume my questions bore insensitivity to the effected. Further, I don't appreciate being a target of your well deserved frustration, though I understand it has to be thrust somewhere.

Best regards.
“It is an honor and a privilege to be alive, however briefly, on this marvelous planet we call Earth.”
Ed Abbey

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Jerousek wrote:It goes without saying that this is a massively unfortunate situation. I have friends and co-workers in the same boat. Things being what they are, I fail to see how asking about trail access and the consequences of breathing in smoke should offend you, or those that are effected by the fire. You're doing yourself a disservice to assume my questions bore insensitivity to the effected. Further, I don't appreciate being a target of your well deserved frustration, though I understand it has to be thrust somewhere.

Best regards.

Give me a break. Be more sensitive to the perils of others and pick a better time to inquire about such things.

And, BTW -- it's insensitivities like this that give incliners a bad reputation.

Postby Jerousek » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:41 pm

Give me a break. Be more sensitive to the perils of others and pick a better time to inquire about such things.

And, BTW -- it's insensitivities like this that give incliners a bad reputation.

This is exactly my point. Inquiring about trail access doesn't worsen the fire or increase harm of any kind. That's my position, anyway. You're certainly welcome to take offense to it, though I must emphasize it was never my intention. I would submit to you that perhaps you are blowing this out of proportion and that futher, maybe its you that should be giving me a break??

PS - I wasn't aware that incliners had a bad reputation, or even that there was such a thing as an "incliner." I think you're making too many snap judgments here.
“It is an honor and a privilege to be alive, however briefly, on this marvelous planet we call Earth.”
Ed Abbey

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Jerousek wrote:This is exactly my point. Inquiring about trail access doesn't worsen the fire or increase harm of any kind. That's my position, anyway. You're certainly welcome to take offense to it, though I must emphasize it was never my intention. I would submit to you that perhaps you are blowing this out of proportion and that futher, perhaps its you that should be giving me a break??

PS - I wasn't aware that incliners had a bad reputation, or even that there was such a thing as an "incliner." I think maybe you're making too many snap judgments here?

Inquiring about it only hours after a MANDATORY evacuation has been lifted and THOUSANDS of people are still under evac orders makes you an ass. That is regardless of whether it was your intention or not.

Postby d_baker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Terry, is the guy suppose to stop all activities because there's a fire? If I were still living in Manitou, I would probably still do the incline if it were accessible. His questions didn't seem very insensitive to me. My former roommate/home and very close friends live in Manitou, but I bet they wouldn't be upset if I asked them that question. In fact, Heckel would probably join me.
Take easy, man.

Postby Jerousek » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:48 pm

Inquiring about it only hours after a MANDATORY evacuation has been lifted and THOUSANDS of people are still under evac orders makes you an ass. That is regardless of whether it was your intention or not.

What is the requisite amount of time that must pass before people can resume climbing in Colorado, Tmatthews? If I knew asking about it would have been the same as spitting in someones face I can assure you I never would have.

If you're certain I'm somehow being insensitive, and you feel the need to attempt to berate me, my friend, I must say, you are being egregiously sensitive.
Ed Abbey

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:52 pm

d_baker wrote:Terry, is the guy suppose to stop all activities because there's a fire? If I were still living in Manitou, I would probably still do the incline if it were accessible. His questions didn't seem very insensitive to me. My former roommate/home and very close friends live in Manitou, but I bet they wouldn't be upset if I asked them that question. In fact, Heckel would probably join me.

I would discourage anyone from engaging in any activities like the incline with the air quality as it is. I would also discourage people from inquiring about such insensitive topics while there are SO MANY people who are still threatened by the fire. But, hey, if you want to look like an insensitive ass, then more power to ya.

Postby d_baker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Jerousek wrote:I read that they're letting folks back into Manitou. If the smoke isn't too awful tomorrow, think access to the incline will be open?

Speaking of the smoke, how bad do you think it would be for the lungs to go jogging/hiking in this? Do we have to be indoor animals for now?

To take a stab at answering your question about access to the incline, I wouldn't bet on it. Local authorities/forest service will probably want everyone off of the trails. When the Hayman Fire happened, Pikes was off limits all together, and that fire wasn't even this close.

Hiking with heavy smoke in the air hurts the lungs.
No, you don't have to be an indoor animal. You could find another trail.
[if you do the incline, just don't tell Terry. He gets butt-hurt about 'incliners.' Always has.]

Postby d_baker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:56 pm

tmathews wrote:
d_baker wrote:Terry, is the guy suppose to stop all activities because there's a fire? If I were still living in Manitou, I would probably still do the incline if it were accessible. His questions didn't seem very insensitive to me. My former roommate/home and very close friends live in Manitou, but I bet they wouldn't be upset if I asked them that question. In fact, Heckel would probably join me.

I would discourage anyone from engaging in any activities like the incline with the air quality as it is. I would also discourage people from inquiring about such insensitive topics while there are SO MANY people who are still threatened by the fire. But, hey, if you want to look like an insensitive ass, then more power to ya.

Terry, I would say he was asking more of an ignorant question than being an insensitive ass. Relax, Sally.

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Jerousek wrote:

What is the requisite amount of time that must pass before people can resume climbing in Colorado, Tmatthews? If I knew asking about it would have been the same as spitting in someones face I can assure you I never would have.

If you're certain I'm somehow being insensitive, and you feel the need to attempt to berate me, my friend, I must say, you are being egregiously sensitive.

13,542 buildings still threatened, btw, but that's just me being egregiously sensitive.

Postby Jerousek » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:03 pm

D_baker, thanks for the reply. That was kind of what I suspected w/r/t the incline and the smoke.

Tmathews, you're killing me, bud. First I'm insensitive, now I'm pretentious. I didn't mean to come off as pretentious, but when I'm attacked in the written form Its a good idea to choose words carefully when replying, especially when a misunderstanding is afoot.

Take it easy.
Ed Abbey

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:10 pm

Jerousek wrote:Tmathews, you're killing me, bud. First I'm insensitive, now I'm pretentious. I didn't mean to come off as pretentious, but when I'm attacked in the written form Its a good idea to choose words carefully when replying, especially when a misunderstanding is afoot.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't even conceive of inquiring about such a thing right now. Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow -- maybe. But, then again, I've been taught to exercise more tact and to take others' situations into account before asking. Again, I guess that's just me.

PreviousNext