Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Postby Vermont Mike » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:49 pm

I, too, would like to offer some space for any evacuee in need of one. I can't promise five star accommodations but I have a nice and comfy electrically-inflated queen air mattress, and my pad is dog-friendly with separate fenced front and back yards if my golden retriever decides to be a punk. There's plenty of food and beer in the fridge as well :D I'm located in downtown Colorado Springs.

Here's hoping the fire burns itself out sooner than later! I wish some of that rain I rain into in the Sangres today would make its way up here . . .

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:50 pm

The LA Times liked what I wrote here this morning, and posted it on their site:
Colorado scene: A resident watches, then flees as flames spread

They also interviewed me for this article:
Mass evacuations ordered as wildfires rage in Colorado

On another note: I found this site online. Register your contact information and they will call you with the status of your property, once it's available: Waldo Canyon Notification Sign Up

Still hoping for some good news!

Postby Fisching » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:10 pm

d_baker wrote:I would like to extend my thanks to Terry & everyone else posting the updates as well. I'm in Texas, and the news down here is not covering it. Imagine that.
This thread has helped me stay in tuned of what's been going on.

That's because Texans haven't realized there is a world outside of their boundaries.
Yeah... I went there.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Palmyra J » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:53 pm

gregory_fischer wrote:
d_baker wrote:I would like to extend my thanks to Terry & everyone else posting the updates as well. I'm in Texas, and the news down here is not covering it. Imagine that.
This thread has helped me stay in tuned of what's been going on.

That's because Texans haven't realized there is a world outside of their boundaries.
Yeah... I went there.

I am very tired of the Texas joke. I have been in CO on and off since birth...I have just never had the opportunity to be a full time resident. Texans are just like anyone else... we love the Rockies too. Many of us would love to be in the position to complain about all the tacky Texans that visit the mountains. In the mean time I will mind my manners with respect and try to protect all natural beauty.

God speed and safety to all those fighting this fire and to those living with the consequences.

Postby Cookiehiker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:15 am

Everything about this crazy fire sucks! After being on pre-evac notice for 2 days, I finally got the evacuation reverse 911 call Wednesday, shortly after noon. Packed up the last few things in the car, along with my dog, and headed out of beautiful Woodland Park. There sometimes just aren't adequate words that come to one's head when looking back when leaving and seeing plumes of smoke on the ridge just above one's home. Thinking about all those affected by this fire and hoping for the best and thankful for those who have offered safe refuge!

Postby packratt » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:32 am

My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by this fire and the others around the state. I can't even begin to understand the stress this must be.

Postby PaliKona » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:18 am

My thoughts are with everyone effected. This is so incredibly sad.

Postby tmathews » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:39 am

Seeing on the news this morning that the total acreage has been updated to 18,500. We'll get official numbers at the media briefing at 8:00. My thoughts are with you, Noel, and a few others on the site I know live in Woodland Park -- namely Josh (CO Native) and Geoff (geoffirons from the COS REI) -- among others.

Here's some humor I saw yesterday in light of all of this horrible news:

Last edited by tmathews on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby summitstep » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:41 am

I watched the news, read the Denver Post online and stared in disbelief at all the posts here, and I wept. Seeing all those homes on fire.....my God! I am so sorry that this is happening to a great community - not just on 14ers, but the city itself. Having visited several times I am very aware of where this fire is and it tears at me. I applaud the optimism and determination; but I hope the support will still be strong for you when you grieve what is lost, whether that be a home, or the pristine wilderness nearby. I know that you all will go on and rebuild, but it does not negate the pain of losing things that are precious to you. I also hope the governments and insurance folks are resolute in helping all those who will be in need.
You know, we can get a bit edgy and in your face on this web site, but I think the true character of all of you is showing through right now, and what a thing to see! It is no longer about mountains, but about people and compassion and an inherent empathy that is reaching through the fire and smoke to one another. I am honored to just be able to witness your interactions and outreach. God bless you all.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."

Postby tmathews » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:02 am

Here's an aerial photo showing some of the destroyed homes....

damage.jpg
damage.jpg (211.79 KiB) Viewed 869 times

"Hundreds of homes" lost according to the officials in the media briefing, but no new structures were lost yesterday. Also -- no new evacuations, but no change to the mandatory evacuations in place (for Jason).

Postby Oldskool70 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:07 am

Cookiehiker wrote:Everything about this crazy fire sucks! After being on pre-evac notice for 2 days, I finally got the evacuation reverse 911 call Wednesday, shortly after noon. Packed up the last few things in the car, along with my dog, and headed out of beautiful Woodland Park. There sometimes just aren't adequate words that come to one's head when looking back when leaving and seeing plumes of smoke on the ridge just above one's home. Thinking about all those affected by this fire and hoping for the best and thankful for those who have offered safe refuge!

Based on the PP summit cam this morning (& yesterday's fire perimeter history) I think the fight will be for Woodlland Park. The fire wall appears bigger up Ute Pass versus the one at Blodgett. Hopefully the storms from the Continental divide will push it the other way. Good luck.
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:19 am

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

PreviousNext