Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:33 pm

PapaBanucci wrote:...

You deleted your post before I could respond!

We *do* understand. I got a call from a reporter from the L.A. Times about what I had written on this forum today. She asked me what I did when the fire started, and I told her that I went hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park - covered 30 miles up there in two days, in fact. She also asked me what I brought with me when I evacuated. I brought the same things many of you would have brought: my pack, my pad, my tent, my stove, my passport, and enough food and water for three days. And a picture of each of my two boys.

For many of us, the trail is our second home, and if we lose our primary domain we'll still have the backcountry.

And yes, it hurts to see it burn.

Postby ztop » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:35 pm

Watching from downtown Denver it looked like rain squelched the fire for a while. There was no smoke for about an hour, but it's back now. Hope for some more rain...

Postby PapaBanucci » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:37 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:
PapaBanucci wrote:...

Thank you.

I fear I have years of hundreds of miles of deeply grieving hiking and trail running ahead.

Postby SuperiorTrailHiker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Thoughts are with all of you immediately affected by these fires. I was on the Superior Trail in northern Minnesota this past weekend, after the opposite problem had occurred a few days before - ten inches of rain in just a few hours, on top of an already very wet month.

There's very little topsoil up there, a thin dusting over a lot of basalt, and the shore declines down from the Sawtooth range to Superior - in some places dramatically. The rivers and hillsides were shedding water at an incredible rate, and Duluth and other towns suffered hundreds of millions of dollars in damages. I have not heard of loss of human life - some unfortunate animals were trapped at the Duluth zoo and drowned, but the material wreckage was pretty incredible.

The sense of apocalypse was up there, too, when you see full-grown pines lodged sideways in bridge rails, structures floating along the Superior shoreline and rivers that are usually calm little rocky streams transformed into full-blown torrents twenty feet over their banks. Although I wasn't directly affected by that flooding, and the damage and imminent danger pales in comparison to these fires, I can certainly empathize with the feeling of seeing a familiar landscape transformed into something that just feels wicked.

I join in with the other non-Coloradans here who love the state and the landscape and wish they were positioned to provide more immediate help.

Postby dnye » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Please say that some of the fire area is getting hit by that thunderstorm just to the west of town?

Postby EatinHardtack » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:21 pm

We are getting some pretty hard west winds at work right now. Downdraft out of the storms. News saI'd there was little precip. You can see the smoke plume drastically change directions in just the last few minutes.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Has anyone heard any rumors about how long the Ute Valley Park area evacuations are expected to last?
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby Indigomountain » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:38 pm

Here's to hoping the rain I see on radar is actually falling and helping in CO!

Good vibes to you all! [-o<
"Peace, Love and Fresh Mountain Air"

Postby tmathews » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:48 pm

its_not_a_tuba wrote:Has anyone heard any rumors about how long the Ute Valley Park area evacuations are expected to last?

I haven't seen anything on the news. There's going to be a press conference at 4:00. If they mention it, I'll let you know.

Postby rijaca » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Oldskool70 wrote:Does anyone have an eye on Kissing Camels? It seems they have pre-evacs surrounding that whole area of the city. :(

They evacuated the Kissing Camels area last night (including my parents and my brother). They weren't expecting that cuz the Fire Command Center was less than 1/2 mile away from their houses.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby d_baker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:40 pm

I would like to extend my thanks to Terry & everyone else posting the updates as well. I'm in Texas, and the news down here is not covering it. Imagine that.
This thread has helped me stay in tuned of what's been going on.

It's still hard to believe it got this bad. I'm sorry to all that are in its path and have lost your homes, and to those under stress because of what might happen. I'm truly sorry.

I am wondering if the Pikes National Forest has been closed like it was shortly after the Hayman fire started 10yrs ago. Does anyone know? I haven't seen mention of it.

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:48 pm

The smoke this evening is much, much less than yesterday - mostly just a haze hanging over the mountains. The storm seems to have cooled things off quite a bit.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

PreviousNext