Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs)

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Fire in Waldo Canyon

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:01 am

It's raining ash in parts of the Springs this morning... It's almost post-apocalyptic. I'm reading on Twitter that 4 of 6 sectors that the City of Manitou Springs divided itself into for this fire are being evacuated -- 7,000 people. I also read that the Cog Railway sent a special train to pick up hikers stranded on Pikes Peak yesterday. Any forum members live in Manitou or the west side of the Springs? You're in my thoughts! :shock: :(
Last edited by tmathews on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fisching » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:12 am

tmathews wrote:It's raining ash in parts of the Springs this morning... It's almost post-apocalyptic. I'm reading on Twitter that 4 of 6 sectors that the City of Manitou Springs divided itself into for this fire are being evacuated -- 7,000 people. I also read that the Cog Railway sent a special train to pick up hikerd stranded on Pikes Peak yesterday. Any forum members live in Manitou or the west side of the Springs? You're in my thoughts! :shock: :(

+1 (Terry, get some sleep!)
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:49 am

Green Mountain Falls and Chipeta Park are now under mandatory evacuation orders. Woodland Park is just up the road. :(

KKTV in the Springs reported that the cause of the fire was man made. If it actually started on the Waldo Canyon loop, I suspect it was an idiot walking along who was smoking and discarded a cigarette. I hiked Waldo Canyon enough back in the day to have seen dozens of people smoking along the trail.

Postby d_baker » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:02 am

Evac's are family affairs....my friend Heckel & Mr. Heckel live in Manitou and evac'd; sadly enough -- Heckel's sister from Fort Collins was evac'd because of the High Park fire.

Best wishes to everyone affected by fire in CO.
And to those that are fighting the fires, thank you!

Postby Tommy Dorr » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:10 am

I'm right at the border of Manitou and Old Colorado. I haven't been evacuated yet, but we had to move stuff out of the studio at the BAC because that part of town was.

My home is open to anyone in the area who doesn't have a place to go. I'll make you a killer breakfast and we can chill here all day.

Lemme know
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby tmathews » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:33 am

d_baker wrote:Evac's are family affairs....my friend Heckel & Mr. Heckel live in Manitou and evac'd; sadly enough -- Heckel's sister from Fort Collins was evac'd because of the High Park fire.

I just found out that my friend Barb's family are among the evacuees. :(

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:34 am

There's now an inciweb page for the fire: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/2929/

They showed an infrared map of the fire on the press conference just now, as of 11 pm last night. It appears to have burned all of the Waldo Canyon loop, east across the north end of Williams Canyon, and has jumped north across Rampart Range road in a few spots. The good news so far is nobody lives in the burn area so far, but that could change if it moves north today.

Black smoke is starting to appear at the south end just now.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby michelle » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:40 am

tmathews wrote:If it actually started on the Waldo Canyon loop, I suspect it was an idiot walking along who was smoking and discarded a cigarette. I hiked Waldo Canyon enough back in the day to have seen dozens of people smoking along the trail.

This was my first thought as well. It blows my mind how carelessly people flip their cig butts out the window of their car on the road or while on the trail. . . in this tinderbox.

Postby Palmyra J » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:43 am

I tried to go to that web page just now Jim, and it would not load. Possible other address or means of getting more information?

Thanks!

Postby Tommy Dorr » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:44 am

Just a side note, there's been a lot of wildlife passing through our part of town as they move away from the burn area. I've never witnessed this much deer in such a short period of time around here.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:44 am

US 24 west is now closed at 31st street. The smoke plume on the south end is getting big.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Gueza » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:53 am

The main objective of the fire crew toady via KKTV is to not let it get to US 24.
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

PreviousNext