Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

High Park fire

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: High Park fire

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:29 pm

I guess the one good thing about this fire is when the SUPERFIRE hits Summit and Grand, at least Larimer wont get charred as bad. If this thing gets up to Hayman Fire size it should again open peoples eyes about the importance of fire mitigation on ones property
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Latest TR: Bald Mountains and Laramie Mtns. HP

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Also, heres the emergence radio scanner to listen in: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=wp&feedId=7897

Postby Floyd » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:36 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:I guess the one good thing about this fire is when the SUPERFIRE hits Summit and Grand, at least Larimer wont get charred as bad. If this thing gets up to Hayman Fire size it should again open peoples eyes about the importance of fire mitigation on ones property

Any word on the cause? (I glanced through the previous posts and hadn't seen anything).

I was with my daughters in RMNP on Saturday. Odd, 2 of the 3 times my oldest has been to the park there has been a fire in that general viscinity. I think she may think that's a permanent thing...
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby djkest » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:37 pm

They think it was started by lightning strike, but it's odd because it started early Saturday morning most likely.

Is it possible for a lightning strike to start a fire 8 or 10 hours later?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:50 pm

Floyd wrote:Any word on the cause? (I glanced through the previous posts and hadn't seen anything).

I was with my daughters in RMNP on Saturday. Odd, 2 of the 3 times my oldest has been to the park there has been a fire in that general viscinity. I think she may think that's a permanent thing...

Still no cause, I dont think anyone can really get into the Paradise Park area right now to investigate. I'm guessing lightning hit the night before and just smoldered, then the morning winds started a flame up.

Postby JB99 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:14 pm

My sister got married yesterday at the South Bay on Horsetooth Reservoir and we were evacuated before the end of the party (the important stuff all was done and went great, and the backdrop of billowing smoke certainly added to the memory). Lot's of friends and family evacuated from their homes right now, including my dad, hoping the best for everyone. Thanks to everybody for updating information in this thread, compiling maps, news releases etc.

More importantly, if any wildland firefighters are reading this, or any of you have friends or family up there fighting to save our homes: Thank you and stay safe, no home is worth it.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby RyanSchilling » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:49 pm

djkest wrote:They think it was started by lightning strike, but it's odd because it started early Saturday morning most likely.

Is it possible for a lightning strike to start a fire 8 or 10 hours later?

I don't know this for a fact, but a smoldering strike point could be brought to life by high winds?

EDIT: And now I see Chris said the same thing....
Last edited by RyanSchilling on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby RyanSchilling » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:50 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:I guess the one good thing about this fire is when the SUPERFIRE hits Summit and Grand, at least Larimer wont get charred as bad. If this thing gets up to Hayman Fire size it should again open peoples eyes about the importance of fire mitigation on ones property

Your line of thinking is that the beetle-kill will help create the "superfire"?

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:18 pm

reinhold wrote:Your line of thinking is that the beetle-kill will help create the "superfire"?

Beetle kill will fuel it anyways. Lightning would seem most likely to be the ignition, I have a feeling people in Grand and Summit counties are pretty cautious with open flames knowing all the brown trees around them. I doubt when the big one happens it will be human caused.

But its all hypothesizing at this point

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:32 pm

The Park County fire (aka Weber) is reported at 70 acres and 20 percent contained as of 1 pm. The people who live near there are having Hayman flashbacks. Hopefully it won't jump the Tarryall valley and go into Lost Creek Wilderness.
http://www.gazette.com/articles/acres-140022-park-county.html

Ride the Rockies is scheduled to go around the south and east sides of Horsetooth Reservoir on Friday. I guess they'll be re-routing.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:51 pm

Coloradoan ‏@coloradoan

#HighParkFire live briefing: Lightning is the cause of the fire, according to Nick Christensen at LCSO.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:15 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:
reinhold wrote:Your line of thinking is that the beetle-kill will help create the "superfire"?

Beetle kill will fuel it anyways. Lightning would seem most likely to be the ignition, I have a feeling people in Grand and Summit counties are pretty cautious with open flames knowing all the brown trees around them. I doubt when the big one happens it will be human caused.

But its all hypothesizing at this point

I understand that beetle kill's impact on fire risk is pretty complicated. For the first couple of years after the outbreak while the trees are still red in color there is little doubt that the fire danger is dramatically elevated, by as much as 3x. But after a couple of seasons the trees turn grey and the dead needles have all fallen off and deteriorated. At this stage I understand there is actually a decrease in the risk of active crown fires (which are the really bad fires you don't want) with an increase in risk for ground fires (which can be a good thing). I think a lot of the beetle kill up there has moved on to the grey stage at this point.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

PreviousNext