Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

RMNP fire?

Colorado wildfires and flooding

RMNP fire?

Postby Alpineair » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:13 pm

Any information on a wildfire in RMNP or Estes Park?
I'm not anti-social, I'm anti-stupid!

Re: RMNP fire?

Postby Alpineair » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Thanks! Could change some hiking plans. Hope they manage it well.

Postby shaunster_co » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:04 pm

I also hope they also manage to get the second fire out near Needleton . I believe that is near the Chi Basin stop or along the DSNG route in the Animas Canyon very close to that.

Postby Magnum420 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:51 pm

From RMNP facebook about an hour ago...

STATUS OF FERN LAKE FIRE: A wildfire was reported around 2 pm today approximately 2 miles west of Fern Lake Trailhead on the east side of Rocky Mountain National Park. The fire is west of Moraine Park which is bisected by the Bear Lake Road. As of 5 pm the fire was reported to be 300 acres and burning to the north in steep, forested terrain. The fire is burning up-slope toward alpine tundra. There are no structures threatened.

Park personnel are on scene and additional fire personnel and air support have arrived. Due to steep, inaccessible terrain, crews will not be put on the fire line tonight. Fire personnel will remain at the fire and will monitor activity throughout the night. Fire crews and engines are on order and one crew is expected to arrive tonight.

Currently, Bear Lake Road, Upper Beaver Meadows Road and Moraine Park Campground are closed. The campground was evacuated along with backcountry campsites and trails in the area of the fire. Trail Ridge Road, highway 34, remains open. Trails west of Bear Lake Road and south of Trail Ridge Road are closed.

There have been no evacuations of residents in the Estes Park area, though heavy smoke drifting over town has caused considerable concern. A fire information number has been set up with a recorded message and will be updated as conditions change. The number is 970-586-1381.

An air tanker and heavy helitanker have arrived but due to cloudy and turbulent conditions they are unable to fly.

While the fire was very active this afternoon, it is expected that fire activity will decrease as night approaches. This will be the last update this evening.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:28 am

shaunster_co wrote:I also hope they also manage to get the second fire out near Needleton . I believe that is near the Chi Basin stop or along the DSNG route in the Animas Canyon very close to that.

This story says it's two miles south of Needleton, and was probably started by the train. The trail from Cascade runs along the south side of the river there, but the tracks are on the north side, so maybe it won't affect that trail (which is part of the approach from Purgatory). The good news is that there's a few days of snow in the forecast starting tomorrow, which should knock down the fire.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby MrFrumpylane » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:34 am

Aren't fires in NPs supposed to be left alone?

Postby DaveLanders » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:55 am

MrFrumpylane wrote:Aren't fires in NPs supposed to be left alone?

It depends. I'm somewhat familiar with the issues in RMNP, so I will only comment on that.
Other NPS areas will have their own fire management plans.

In RMNP, any fire near the boundary that would threaten developed areas such as
Estes Park would be fought aggressively. A fire near the boundary with a wilderness area, such as
Comanche Peaks WA, would be less likely to be fought. A fire in the interior of the park might be left
to burn if it didn't threaten any developed area, but this could also depend on weather, fuel moisture, etc.
In the case of a fire such as the current one near the Pool, I'm guessing that they are fighting it because
it is so close to high use areas such as Moraine Park CG.

Postby Steve Knapp » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Hmm, maybe it will burn up into Forest Canyon? We can only hope! I doubt this one will get very big, the area has had plenty of moisture the last couple months. They probably should limit the surpression and just let it go. Friday's storm will probably put it out anyway.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:35 pm

Steve Knapp wrote:Hmm, maybe it will burn up into Forest Canyon? We can only hope!.

BOO!! I want to see Forest Canyon at least once before it burns down.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Fairchild Mountain

Postby Alpineair » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Postby Lemmiwinks » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:24 pm

The fire was easily visible from down in Longmont yesterday evening. Perhaps the precipitation over the next two days will help a little bit.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Next