Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Next image shown based on location

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.

Next image shown based on location

Postby colokeith » Tue May 07, 2013 3:35 pm

I know this is a wish list item that is probably beyond the scope of the current iphone app. However, I think it would be useful if the app had a feature to show the next route image based on your location / elevation. I am guessing the current images are not geotagged. It seems like it wouldn't be to hard to add a rough elevation as metadata on the image. Then display it based on the devices current altitude. Showing current altitude on route page would also be useful. (I know there are dozens of apps that do this already)
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Re: Next image shown based on location

Postby Nathan Hale » Wed May 08, 2013 10:22 am

You're correct in saying that the current images aren't geo-tagged. It wouldn't be difficult technically to add the elevation and coordinates info to the images, but it would be fairly tedious and time-consuming given the vast number of images in there. You'd need to have both the elevation and the GPS, because there are plenty of routes (think of Holy Cross, for example) where you hit the same elevation more than once.

The bigger problem is that to display the altitude and to load a picture based on altitude/location would require that the GPS be enabled, which is a major battery drain (especially on older phones) which would make it kill the battery on longer routes. Yes, it can be turned off when the phone is not in use, but then you have to spend a while finding GPS again once you turn it back on.

It might be useful to include a GPS info page or something like that which could display your current position and altitude and perhaps some other info, but only when on that page. Or perhaps have an overlay on the routes page to display current elevation if you click on a button or something (to avoid too much battery drain).
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com

Site Administrator

Re: Next image shown based on location

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 am

Good info, Nathan.

Additionally, I don't have the GPS info for each photo.
Only SNOW will end the madness