Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fall colors 2013

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Fall colors 2013

Postby djkest » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:06 pm

I found some Aspens that were already turning on 9/5. Just above the Capitol "ditch" trail around 10k feet.

Yes, only a few, but it was still exciting. On the "ditch" trail there were a bunch of golden leaves dotting the muddy trail that had very recently fallen.

Anyone else?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Re: Fall colors 2013

Postby Presto » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:08 pm

As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby tlongpine » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Presto wrote:viewtopic.php?t=41555&p=503487#p503487

That thread is a query about why/where/what color might turn, with submitted photos from years past years as example.

This thread (the one you're reading now) appears to be an attempt to archive current Fall Foliage.

Carry on.
Last edited by tlongpine on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby Presto » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:45 pm

:oops: Duly noted ... as you were.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby djkest » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:48 am

I know it's a bit premature, but I'm excited for the fall colors. Hopefully after this weekend we'll start getting some submissions.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby JTOlson26 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:27 pm

I was hoping this thread would pop up soon! Over the next three to four weeks I am sure things will be turning pretty rapidly. I can't wait to see some of the great photography. Even though the colors are often limited to yellow, the, often, light coating of snow with the evergreens and the mountains as a backdrop make fall foliage in general one of my favorite scenes.

Postby bbutzin » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Is this odd September monsoon going to delay the fall colors, or speed them up, any thoughts?

Postby SilverLynx » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:06 pm

bbutzin wrote:Is this odd September monsoon going to delay the fall colors, or speed them up, any thoughts?

An interesting article about fall colors.

"Temperature, sunlight, and soil moisture greatly influence the quality of the fall foliage display. Abundant sunlight and low temperatures after the time the abscission layer forms cause the chlorophyll to be destroyed more rapidly. Cool temperatures, particularly at night, combined with abundant sunlight, promote the formation of more anthocyanins. Freezing conditions destroy the machinery responsible for manufacturing anthocyanins, so early frost means an early end to colorful foliage. Drought stress during the growing season can sometimes trigger the early formation of the abscission layer, and leaves may drop before they have a chance to develop fall coloration. A growing season with ample moisture that is followed by a rather dry, cool, sunny autumn that is marked by warm days and cool but frostless nights provides the best weather conditions for development of the brightest fall colors. Lack of wind and rain in the autumn prolongs the display; wind or heavy rain may cause the leaves to be lost before they develop their full color potential."
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby ajkagy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:00 pm

whole patches of aspens are going off in crested butte already, but for the most part it's still pretty green, hopefully i'll get some good pictures this week with the nicer weather.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby pw » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:01 am

I went through my fall photos of the last few years to check the dates, everything was shot between 9/24 to 10/3, with most of them being shot from 9/26 to 9/30. The 10/3 day was near Ridgway, still some good color in the trees that year (2011). So next week should be good if things are on their normal schedule.

Postby TeamDino5280 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:43 am

This is from last week in Clear Creek County

"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby pseudoghost » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:34 am

Went over independence pass this weekend. Still very green. Peak color might be delayed by a week or more this year due to all the rain. I'd say next weekend will be the first decent weekend...

Next