Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Selling photos

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Selling photos

Postby PaliKona » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:25 am

Have any of you had success selling your work? How much do pro photographers typically make?

Re: Selling photos

Postby RockyMountainMustang » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:32 am

if you are looking to sell your photography, but want to do it more as a side and don't want to deal with hassle and commitment, I'd recommend submitting your work to shutterstock, or similar stock photography websites. You don't get paid much, but better than nothing. This website is helpful http://www.sitepoint.com/15-places-to-sell-your-photos/
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." - Helen Keller

Postby MuchosPixels » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:11 am

PaliKona wrote:Have any of you had success selling your work? How much do pro photographers typically make?

Hi, I am a professional photographer and my pro work is "diversified" as follows:

-I do some on-set photography as a unit stills photographer for motion pictures and also TV commercials for Ad. Campaigns (I am IATSE Local 600 Union Member), I get paid a day rate.

-I also do work for hire for advertising campaigns (Ad. Agencies). I quote total photo production costs (includes assistants, location/studio costs, rentals etc) so pay varies by project.

-I also work directly with some clients for product and typical commercial photography. Cost + Fee. Includes corporate portraits, architecture interior / exterior and even products for catalogs.

-I enjoy landscape photography and use smugmug to sell images online. Easy to set up.

That pretty much sums it up. Each one has its plus and minuses.

There are a lot of people nowadays that wants to be or "is" a pro photographer. Thanks to digital cameras. But overall very few people make a nice living. You need to work hard and work smartly. For that you need to experience and knowledge both in business and photography itself. Vast technical knowledge and experience is also key to be able to work quickly and adjust to any situation. You need to know gear inside and out and depending on the type of photography you need to invest quite a bit of money in it. Great service is key.

Postby Dave B » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:31 am

RockyMountainMustang wrote:if you are looking to sell your photography, but want to do it more as a side and don't want to deal with hassle and commitment, I'd recommend submitting your work to shutterstock, or similar stock photography websites. You don't get paid much, but better than nothing. This website is helpful http://www.sitepoint.com/15-places-to-sell-your-photos/

I'll add a +0.5 to this statement. I've been selling images at these sites for over five years, I haven't contributed anything new in several years but I still see $400-500 in income each year, that's with only ~100 images online. With that said the vast majority of my revenue comes from vector illustrations I made in Adobe Illustrator (Inkscape is an open source vector illustration software package). I actually enjoyed making these illustrations quite a bit as sets of "doodles" actually have some strong commercial value. However, as far as stock photography goes, most images don't sell unless they illustrate a concept that can be exploited commercially (think an image of a doctor with his arms crossed or kids getting off a school bus etc., You can go to Yuri Arcurs website to get an idea of what kind of images sell well). Landscape photos just don't sell.

In the end, selling photos on stock sites for $0.25 to $5 per license will leave you feeling a bit whore-ish. Vectors not as much (for me at least).

These are my two highest earning vectors:

"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby PaliKona » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:09 pm

Has anyone had success selling on Etsy?

Postby bill4reel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:59 pm

Hey Everyone,

I'm actually looking for some high quality 14er summit shots (vertical orientation). I'd rather buy and/or trade with a member than buy stock - very impersonal. I'll be using the image on hang tags for 14er t shirts (http://allpeak.net). If you're a amateur or pro photographer and looking to get some additional recognition, that's what I'd like to do. Reach out to me soon if you are interested allpeakbill@gmail.com
Sherpa Bill
@allpeak

Postby IronSkiMountaineer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:13 pm

My 2 cents...I haven't submitted to any stock photography sites (but based on the above comment about 400-500 in income I should), but I have pictures for sale on Fine Art America that generate some sales. I have a FB page but really this is just a hobby that I'm taking a step further without totally committing to going professional. I know how hard the professionals work and I feel like only a select few (the Jimmy Chins of the world) really hit it big. It seems like anybody with a DSLR has a FB page for their photography these days so I want to make sure that if I do try to make money from it I want to make sure I'm doing it for the right reasons. Right now, it's just a little something on the side since I'm going out to cool places anyway and taking (what I think) are pretty good pictures. I think for most professionals, though they do make some money in print sales, they also generate a lot of income from workshops and things like that, which I'm not really in a place to do just yet.

Postby spong0949 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:11 pm

I also use fineartamerica. I sell about 50% mountain photography prints and the other half are fine art/painting/drawing prints. It is a good way to supplement income on the side (I'm an art teacher) but wouldn't want to try to do it for a living. The competition is huge for photographers. I think one thing that we (hikers/climbers/14er people) have going for us is that we go places that most people don't, and we are there at times of the day that most people aren't, and that gets us some unique, one of a kind shots.
Mountain photography and fine art:
http://aaronspong.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"