Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Printing photos

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Printing photos

Postby pw » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:28 am

mattpayne11 wrote:Perhaps this article can be of some help for you:

http://www.photopathway.com/resolution-megapixels-dpi-explained/

As far as printers, there are lots of online places that do a great job - I can recommend:

www.mpix.com
www.whcc.com
www.prodpi.com

I've also used Mpix and was happy, very quick turn around on photos, not in Denver, but if that isn't a problem then they are a good choice (not sure about choices in photographic paper though).

Locally, you (the original poster person) could check with Englewood Camera on S. Broadway.

http://englewoodcamera.com/

Postby YouAndWhatGendarme » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:19 pm

Another vote for Mpix. They're great and I even used them to print a couple pieces for gallery shows last year.

And I've gotten good prints up to 18 x18 from my crappy iPhone camera. Sure when you get right on top of them you see some noise, but from reasonable viewing distances they look great. A 10MP camera will print at 8x12 @300dpi, anything larger than that and the quality starts to fall off.
Punish your body to perfect your soul. - Mark Twight

Postby rking007 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:15 am

In case anyone is interested, MPIX is having a 50% off sale on large prints through tomorrow. I think it goes from 8x11 and up. I love MPIX but I've also had great results from Costco believe it or not. Totally convenient and for the price the quality is pretty darn good.

Only problem I've had is the sizes they print. They will do a 16x20 but not a 16x24. They will do a 20x30 however and I've even gone so far as to set my images at 300dpi at 16x24 and then make my canvas a 20x30. So in effect, I'm printing a 16x24 with a big black border which I then just trim. At $11.99 for a 20x30, that's not bad really when MPIX charges $17.99 for a 16x24. This method is also a good way to get around many printers pre-set sizes and your custom cropped images.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby PaliKona » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:11 pm

wow, thank you for all the info!!

Question about mpix - what's the typical turnaround for a print? I cannot find it on their website.

Postby Jon Frohlich » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:22 pm

PaliKona wrote:wow, thank you for all the info!!

Question about mpix - what's the typical turnaround for a print? I cannot find it on their website.

Usually printed and shipped in a day or two and then whatever shipping option you choose. Typically it's been a week or less for me.

Postby Mark Curtis » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:38 pm

Hey Jon! Good to see your name in the Photography section. You should post some of your photos.

Postby PaliKona » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:57 am

I've been getting prints back from MPIX and am VERY happy with the quality!

Two questions:
-they charge about $25 for framing and matting, which seems good to me. Are there cheaper alternatives?
-some of my images cannot be printed at 8x10 (only 6x9) b/c of pixel count I believe? Is there something I can do in photoshop to change this and be able to print larger? I read the article in this thread and am still a bit confused.

Ie. This image is sized @ 1008 x 728, and I want to print it at 8"x10". It's only letting me select 6x9. Can I adjust this?

Thanks

Previous