Super cool gigapixle (Everest)

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Super cool gigapixle (Everest)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

There is a version of this on the NPR website where you can click on certain regions in the photo to goto other similar photos from the location that you clicked. One photo is from inside a large tent in base camp and has pics on the walls of the tent showing ice sheet loss from years ago to present..
rkalsbeek
14ers: 20  1 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rkalsbeek »

This is truly incredible! But seeing all of those tents in the base camp is kind of a turn off for me... Always thought about climbing Everest, but I'm starting to think Everest is getting too popular. Taking remoteness over elevation, any one else feeling that way?
Sous les pavés, la plage.

Climbing for Alzheimer's Awareness
https://www.facebook.com/1414ersforAlzheimers
http://www.1414ersforalz.org Raising awareness about Alzheimer's Disease.
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

Saw this thread weeks ago but didn't get around to looking at the photo until now, very cool. Over on the right is what I'm pretty sure is Ama Dablam, that is a very serious looking mountain, not for anyone who has a problem with exposure I think.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Super cool gigapixle

Post by MUni Rider »

Rock-a-Fella wrote:Is it me or did anyone else notice that that the safety rope on the climber crossing the ladder at the to of the Ice Falls has got some serious fray marks on it? And the climber in blue beginning the climb to Camp 1 needs to double back his harness?

To echo Bill...........W-O-W

Very nice site! Thanks for sharing.
Nah, man. That rope is good-to-go. I would trust it with my life.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Super cool gigapixle

Post by Doug Shaw »

Jim Davies wrote:With a little searching maybe somebody can find Irvine. :)
Apologies for the aside, but a few years ago I saw a presentation on the use of high resolution digital photography as an aid in search and rescue. The key scenario they discussed was the search for Sue Nott and Karen McNeil after they went missing on Foraker. Search aircraft returned with lots of high-res photographs, which were then scoured for clues and signs of the women. They said they were able to confirm evidence of tracks in the snow high on the mountain (above the technical difficulties of the Infinite Spur) by looking at the photos as negatives, etc. It was pretty interesting stuff.