Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

resizing source photos

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

resizing source photos

Postby summitstep » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:14 pm

How do you resize a photo so it can be sent as an attachment? Most of mine fail due to size being too large.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."

Re: resizing source photos

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Mac or PC? on my Mac I use iPhoto and just use the "Export" function. Then, you have a few options to the quality and size of the exported photo I haven't turned on my PC in a long time, but I'm sure there is something similar in each photo program.

Postby MtHurd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Right click on the picture, Open With/Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Picture/Resize/Predefined width x height. I usually choose 800x600 but you can go smaller. Make sure you save it as a different file name otherwise you will lose your original photo. This simple program can only resize the pics, it can't lower the image quality which will make the size even smaller. For that you will probably need a program like Photoshop. Hopefully resizing the photo will make it small enough to send via email.

Postby summitstep » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:55 pm

thanks for the tips, guys! much appreciated.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."

Postby Waggs » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:55 am

I use IrfanView for my image viewing and occasional resizing.

Not a full blown photo editor, but it is free and it's enough for me at this point in time.

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach