Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2012 Fall Colors

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: 2012 Fall Colors

Postby ChrisinAZ » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:54 pm

Saw the aspens below the Bells beginning to change yesterday, though they're not that vivid yet.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks

Postby ajkagy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:53 pm

I'm thinking they'll be peak in elks in 2-3 weeks...slightly earlier than normal. There's already groves of aspens that are hitting peak color here.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby HikerHankey » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Fall colors.jpg
From the ridge going up Quandary!
Fall colors.jpg (132.45 KiB) Viewed 797 times

From the ridge going up Quandary.
-Hankey
"You know something pal, you smell an awful lot like flowers."-Mr. Hankey

Postby prestone818 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Was quite surprised by the amount of color between 70-berthoud pass- granby already.

Postby ColoradoGuy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:17 pm

It's definitely early, but my neighbor's tree yesterday...

It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org

Postby MountainDawg » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:26 pm

But im not done with summer yet (sniff,sniff).

Postby MuchosPixels » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:30 am

Wow, pretty unreal to see those colors so early. Its still very warm all over Colorado still.

Postby ColoradoGuy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:01 pm

Leaves are changing here and there near the Denny Creek Trailhead (west of Buena Vista), but it's not much yet. One photo on 9/3...

It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org

Postby Darren Kilgore » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Coming back from the Sangres (green) today, I drove Phantom Canyon and Gold Camp Road (Cripple Creek-Colorado Springs) for the first time. There aren't too many aspens along the Phantom route (for those who haven't been), but what there are were in the same stage as Gold Camp, which is mostly green, much of which is light green. There are definitely some isolated trees with yellow, though. Here are the visuals:

Pikes Peak from near 67 and 81 above Cripple Creek

Along Gold Camp Road

Along Gold Camp Road

If I may be so bold, pictures of isolated trees, branches, and leaves do nothing for a visual update report; they look pretty, but contain no information.

tlongpine wrote:Well, who said the OP wasn't looking for fall photography? Keep the beautiful photos coming.

I suppose you are right, and I must've inferred differently. Typically, these threads are used for updates for others, or at least that's always been my impression. If they are to be used for pretty pictures, I would take my snapshots down. Perhaps they're meant for both.
Last edited by Darren Kilgore on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby tlongpine » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:23 pm

If I may be so bold, pictures of isolated trees, branches, and leaves do nothing for a visual update report; they look pretty, but contain no information.

Well, who said the OP wasn't looking for fall photography? Keep the beautiful photos coming.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby Brent D » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Darren Kilgore wrote:If I may be so bold, pictures of isolated trees, branches, and leaves do nothing for a visual update report; they look pretty, but contain no information.

tlongpine wrote:Well, who said the OP wasn't looking for fall photography? Keep the beautiful photos coming.

I suppose you are right, and I must've inferred differently. Typically, these threads are used for updates for others, or at least that's always been my impression. If they are to be used for pretty pictures, I would take my snapshots down. Perhaps they're meant for both.

I say we need both! Keep the "snapshots" up Darren! Any and all pics and info we can get is a good thing! :)

Postby TeamDino5280 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Here are some from today (9/3/12) by Monte Christo Creek

PreviousNext