Sony cybershots

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Sony cybershots

Post by d_baker »

Does anyone have opinions on the Sony cybershot cameras?

I recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix S8200 after reading good reviews on it. But, after having it for a few weeks, I returned it to Best Buy. The quality of photos I thought was lacking when taking outdoor/landscape shots.
So I was looking at the Sony Cybershots today, and the 16.2 megapixel, Model: DSCHX9V/B caught my eye.

I think I've read on the forum before that members have been happy with the cybershots? I did not do a forum search.

Opinions anyone?

Thanks!
Alby426
14ers: 33 
13ers: 38 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Sony cybershots

Post by Alby426 »

I used a cybershot for a long time in the mountains and, it's a very good camera. It sat on the belt of my backpack through the winter and never failed to work. Battery life is very good too. I have some really good pictures from it and videos too. The only reproach is the contrast, I never mastered it completely. All in all, I would recommend it.

If you have Facetube, here are my pics from Rainier (Note that there was a spec on the lens the whole trip): http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 445&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

I used to have a sony cybershot and the picture quality was ok, but I definitely wasn't that happy with it for longer distance shots (i.e. looking from a 14er to other 13ers and 14ers far away) and instead got a sony hd camcorder & camera seen here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+HDR- ... Id=2178352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I definitely like it better than the cybershot. While it still can't do some things that my DSLR can do in terms of shutter speed & aperature it's definitely nicer (and also much more light weight to carry it in my pack for those long hikes).
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Best little camera on the market, the Canon Powershot S95 (or S100):
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/prod ... ershot_s95

Keep in mind that megapixel capability is the most overrated quality in a digital camera. Megapixels are only important if you plan on making VERY large prints. The real determining factor of a camera's quality is the sensor, which decides photo quality (outside of photographer skill, of course).

Most of the photos I have uploaded I took with the Canon S90; it's just a great little camera.
Last edited by Tory Wells on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Perhaps this is the place to ask this question: What is the thing to look for with the Canon model numbers? Seems like every store has their version with different numbers but does one want an "A", "ELPH", "S"? I am also in the market.

And Darin, I have a friend with that camera and he gets great pictures with it.
Last edited by Johnson on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Johnson wrote:Perhaps this is the place to ask this question: What is the thing to look for with the Canon model numbers? Seems like every store has their version with different numbers but does one want an "A", "ELPH", "S"? I am also in the market.
With Canon, their best compact digitals are the S and G series cameras. They separate them into nice groups on their website:
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/prod ... al_cameras
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Tory Wells wrote:
Johnson wrote:Perhaps this is the place to ask this question: What is the thing to look for with the Canon model numbers? Seems like every store has their version with different numbers but does one want an "A", "ELPH", "S"? I am also in the market.
With Canon, their best compact digitals are the S and G series cameras. They separate them into nice groups on their website:
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/prod ... al_cameras

Thanks.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Barry, start your own thread! kidding.

To be more specific in what I'm looking for:
ease of use in the high country while wearing gloves and maybe even mittens,
I like panoramic,
obviously good color quality,
I might want to do prints of my pictures down the road,
I like macro shots too,
and my budget is within $200-300 but would spend less too if I could get those kinds of things.

The Sony cybershot I looked at has HDR, but I don't know much about that, also has 3D imaging, don't know anything about that either. I don't know if I would use it or need it. It has sweeping panoramic, which seems like it might be easy to use. It also appears that it could be easy to use with gloves on.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Cybe ... Id=2317038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My current camera I've been happy with, which is a HP product. But I thought I might upgrade if I can find one that I can point and shoot and not have to think of technical stuff.
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Johnson wrote: And Darin, I have a friend with that camera and he gets great pictures with it.
Which camera are you talking about?
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Are you talking about a point-and-shoot or something more advanced? I had the DSC-F828 that I used for years. Great camera. I was extremely upset when it got some dust or debris in the imaging sensor, though. The only way to repair it was to send it to a camera shop for cleaning -- which was going to be more than a new camera. I was pleased with Sony, though, and bought a DSLR. If you have a little more to spend, the DSC HX100V/B is currently on sale. It has the "sweep panorama" setting, which I've read is pretty awesome.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

I have a Cybershot DSC-P200 that was purchased in 2005. Irrespective of lighting, I get fine color and contrast at 5 mpx and excellent print quality to 8 1/2" X 11" -sized printing. For now, I'm keeping it. However, its 3X zoom is inadequate to record distant peaks. Also due to older technology it lacks storage space for photos or videos (512 MB). I compensate for video deficiencies with a Canon camcorder - where possible I use a lightweight tripod for both cameras. My wife has a fine point and shoot Canon digital cam with 7 mpx and a smaller case than the Sony. I agree that the megapix thing is a bit overblown unless you plan to print something absolutely huge.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

tmathews wrote:Are you talking about a point-and-shoot or something more advanced?
Point and shoot, with advanced options. I guess.
The camera you pointed out that's on sale is bigger in size than I want too. I would prefer a camera that won't be too bulky.

Thanks for the responses so far.