Forum

Journalistic Mountain Shots?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Journalistic Mountain Shots?

Postby livetothemax96 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi all,

After recently joining the school yearbook as a photojournalist and learning what makes a good journalistic picture I found myself staging this one during a little tour around mayflower gulch and it got me thinking about what makes interesting, storytelling skiing/climbing pictures. By that I mean you can always get the powder face-shot or the sandstone free-solo, but what could you do to make the picture tell a story?
Attachments
IMG_0076 (684x1024).jpg
Who needs a ski pass?
IMG_0076 (684x1024).jpg (320.26 KiB) Viewed 497 times
whats life unless you live it?

Re: Journalistic Mountain Shots?

Postby MonGoose » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:35 pm

Your photo made me laugh, pretty funny. The pass could be a little closer to the skier and still have the same effect, and the photo would be tighter.

I think taking a photo that tells a story on the slopes is difficult. There's always the skier being followed by an avalanche (which we will never be in position to photograph) or the awkward stance of a skier right before they fall. You might have better luck at the terrain park, constant action and regular wipeouts.