Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Journalistic Mountain Shots?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Journalistic Mountain Shots?

Postby livetothemax96 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi all,

After recently joining the school yearbook as a photojournalist and learning what makes a good journalistic picture I found myself staging this one during a little tour around mayflower gulch and it got me thinking about what makes interesting, storytelling skiing/climbing pictures. By that I mean you can always get the powder face-shot or the sandstone free-solo, but what could you do to make the picture tell a story?
Attachments
IMG_0076 (684x1024).jpg
Who needs a ski pass?
IMG_0076 (684x1024).jpg (320.26 KiB) Viewed 466 times
whats life unless you live it?

Re: Journalistic Mountain Shots?

Postby MonGoose » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:35 pm

Your photo made me laugh, pretty funny. The pass could be a little closer to the skier and still have the same effect, and the photo would be tighter.

I think taking a photo that tells a story on the slopes is difficult. There's always the skier being followed by an avalanche (which we will never be in position to photograph) or the awkward stance of a skier right before they fall. You might have better luck at the terrain park, constant action and regular wipeouts.