Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14ers.com 2012 Calendar?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

14ers.com 2012 Calendar?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:15 am

Hey, maybe it would be a cool idea to have our own 14ers.com calendar, with contributions from 14ers.com members?

We could have a thread to submit prospective photos, leave it open for a period of time, then set up a poll to vote on which ones to include.
We'd end up with a composite calendar, photographed, edited, and created by the 14ers crew.

Perhaps Bill would be interested in offering it in the 14ers.com store? I mean, we got caps, travel mugs, and mouse pads. We need a calendar! :D

Re: 14ers.com 2012 Calendar?

Postby gonzalj » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:19 am

I'm all for it. Every year I create my own calendar and already have a number of photos I'm planning on using for my 2012 calendar and can always contribute some of my photos to a potential site calendar. Also, one other suggestion for the store would be a beanie.

Postby Matt Lemke » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:05 am

Another outdoor forum I'm involved in already does this. It works great actuallly and I highly recommend it.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby Tornadoman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:42 am

I'll give a big thumbs up to this idea as well. I think a nice blend of various user photos would make for a great calendar!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:55 am

Would be easy to set up a "calendar photo submission" section in user photos and people could just vote for them with the existing thumbs up/down function.

The big question is... who will publish the calendar? I've had my hands full recently and wouldn't have much time to help with getting it made. Selling it in the store wouldn't be a problem.

Postby Matt Lemke » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:15 pm

Bill,
What NWHikers.net does is one of the admins posts a "Wiki" thread that anyone can edit. People submit their photos for each month on this thread for a period of time in October (about a month). Each user can submit 13 photos; one for each month and a cover photo. Then the submission phase ends and the voting phase begins around the beginning of November and users vote on 1 photo from each month using the same "Wiki" thread. At the end of about another month, the winning photos are revealed at the annual NWHikers social which usually takes place at the Mountaineers Lodge in Seattle in mid-December. People who got a winning photo in the calendar get a free copy. Other members buy one if they want for about 25 dollars.

One of the admins will have the calendars printed between the time voting ends and the annual social.

This has worked great for years at nwhikers and allows another opportunity for members to meet each other. The social is also a potluck dinner where people who come bring dishes.

If you want more info or details you can PM me.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby USAKeller » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:36 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:The big question is... who will publish the calendar? I've had my hands full recently and wouldn't have much time to help with getting it made. Selling it in the store wouldn't be a problem.

We do a big hospital-wide employee calendar photo contest at Boulder Community Hospital each year. Some of my co-workers are on the team that works with the outside photo judges as well as the publishing company. The calendar is published very nicely and professionally (I can show you next time I come up). And I'm happy to ask them to see if the publishing company could do it (cost, etc.) if you'd like!
All we are called to do is do the next right thing.

Postby somethingrandom » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:45 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Would be easy to set up a "calendar photo submission" section in user photos and people could just vote for them with the existing thumbs up/down function.

The big question is... who will publish the calendar? I've had my hands full recently and wouldn't have much time to help with getting it made. Selling it in the store wouldn't be a problem.

Just a tiny suggestion from a lousy photographer who gets an amazing shot now and then, just do a 'thumbs up' kind of thing (no thumbs down). Some of us suck at taking pictures and it would be quite disparaging having a hundred pepole give a thumbs down to one you submit thinking its a good one.

Normally I am all for being brutally honest but with little (if anything) on the line, encouragement is by far the best driver for something like this. That said, I would certainly purchase a couple!

My $.02
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby yorksman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:12 pm

http://www.jodygrigg.com - Mountains scenes of Colorado and more.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jody-Grigg-Photography/262024160516067 Jody Grigg Photography Facebook