Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fall Colors (updated to include any year)

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: FALL COLORS.....2011 ONLY, PLEASE (for now)

Postby jpfeif001 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:15 pm

IMG_3558 Small.JPG
Aspens at the Winter Parking Lot of Grays & Torreys 10-01-2011
IMG_3558 Small.JPG (78.93 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
The spaces between is where I reside, In the moment is where I live, and my family and friends are who I love.

Postby kimo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:18 pm

...and the hits keep on coming. I like them all. Don't need to be some super advanced photographer or have the best gear to make a great photo.

vonmackle wrote:Wilson Peak Sept 27
North Clear Creek Falls Sept 29

The Wilson Peak photo is fantastic. And then I'm a sucker for water so the falls really connects with me. The composition, timing, and image quality on both is tops. Great work Cameron.

Still.
_KDB0497.jpg
_KDB0497.jpg (222.56 KiB) Viewed 1490 times

Postby kimo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:22 pm

_KDB1122.jpg
_KDB1122.jpg (290.96 KiB) Viewed 1492 times

Postby Beachrodney » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:31 am

A few more!
Attachments
Picture2 047.jpg
Picture2 047.jpg (311.97 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
Picture2 042.jpg
Picture2 042.jpg (234.29 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Picture2 002.jpg
Picture2 002.jpg (281.05 KiB) Viewed 1328 times

Postby Jon Frohlich » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:41 am

It may be cliche...but it's a damn good cliche... yesterday morning at the Bells.

Postby leaf-peeper » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:20 am

First posting, hope I haven't screwed it up! Our weekend routes were as suggested by Darren Kilgore at mycolorado.org. Ohio Pass, Kebler Pass, McClure Pass, Marble. Outstanding weekend!
Attachments
McClure Pass1 2011-10-3.JPG
McClure Pass1 2011-10-3.JPG (192.66 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Kebler Pass5 2011-10-3.JPG
Kebler Pass5 2011-10-3.JPG (199.41 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
Ohio Pass4 2011-10-02.JPG
Ohio Pass4 2011-10-02.JPG (208.18 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

Postby leaf-peeper » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:32 am

couple more then I'll leave you alone. It was just such a wonderful weekend I can't stop!
Attachments
Ohio Pass6 2011-10-02.JPG
Ohio Pass6 2011-10-02.JPG (228.86 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
McClure Pass 2011-10-3.JPG
McClure Pass 2011-10-3.JPG (238.99 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
Beaver Lake-Marble1 2011-10-3.JPG
Beaver Lake-Marble1 2011-10-3.JPG (154.44 KiB) Viewed 1125 times

Postby aleph4 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Does anyone know what will happen with the predicted snow storm coming up? Any predictions as to what areas might hold up better (I presume the least close to peak areas)

Postby traderaaron » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:36 pm

aleph4 wrote:Does anyone know what will happen with the predicted snow storm coming up? Any predictions as to what areas might hold up better (I presume the least close to peak areas)

New Mexico?

Postby Jon Frohlich » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:43 pm

traderaaron wrote:
aleph4 wrote:Does anyone know what will happen with the predicted snow storm coming up? Any predictions as to what areas might hold up better (I presume the least close to peak areas)

New Mexico?

New Mexico was what I was thinking. The snow will definitely mess things up. There will be some leaves left but the color will be muted and the undergrowth like the ferns will get wrecked. Especially with the windy conditions predicted for the next few days. Everything I saw this weekend will be way past peak by Saturday anyway. I did Cottonwood Pass -> Crested Butte -> Kebler Pass -> McClure Pass -> Carbondale -> Aspen.

Postby Mark Curtis » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:40 pm

Not always true about the snow. Some of the coolest aspen shots I've seen were with a dusting of snow (and also late in the fall season)....it can really enhance the epic nature of the scene.

The wind will do its thing, but there are always protected stands. Conditions might not be ideal for large areas of consistent color (or as Jon intimated, even having leaves at all), but the more intimate and unique shots could still be there.

Yes, New Mexico. Well, it's probably a good idea for this late in the colors parade.....except that if you are expecting it to be like Colorado you might be wholly underwhelmed. I have not seen all of the areas recommended, but of the ones I did see that were highly touted......only the stretch between Tres Piedras and Tierra Amarillo (esp. closer to the latter) on US 64 was in the same league. To be fair, it did look like there were some nice groves north of Santa Fe, but part of the problem with New Mexico for aspen viewing is the elevation where aspen flourish is much higher in their mountains. Not just literally higher elevation wise, but also practically higher because of access from easily viewable roadways. We are so spoiled in Colorado with the terrain and accompanying roads surrounding the aspen being so high to begin with.....it makes for much more convenient photographic opportunities. You can take quick tours over good paved roads, or explore in varying degrees.

And that's the other thing about New Mexico. Many of the roads are in very poor condition. US 285 from Espanola to Taos (for example) was an undulating mess. Other roads to key scenic areas were also in disarray (anyone driven to Chaco?). This isn't to say Colorado doesn't have it's share (of bad roads)....I know most states have issues with road conditions these days.....but proportionately I really came to appreciate our wonderful state all the more. And I'm not trying to gratuitously bash New Mexico. I think you see what you want to see....and there are plenty of nice areas down there. Just consider how many places there are in Colorado yet to be explored by your wheels. :mrgreen:

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:49 pm

Mark Curtis wrote:
Yes, New Mexico. Well, it's probably a good idea for this late in the colors parade.....except that if you are expecting it to be like Colorado you might be wholly underwhelmed. I have not seen all of the areas recommended, but of the ones I did see that were highly touted......only the stretch between Tres Piedras and Tierra Amarillo (esp. closer to the latter) on US 64 was in the same league. To be fair, it did look like there were some nice groves north of Santa Fe, but part of the problem with New Mexico for aspen viewing is the elevation where aspen flourish is much higher in their mountains. Not just literally higher elevation wise, but also practically higher because of access from easily viewable roadways. We are so spoiled in Colorado with the terrain and accompanying roads surrounding the aspen being so high to begin with.....it makes for much more convenient photographic opportunities. You can take quick tours over good paved roads, or explore in varying degrees.

And that's the other thing about New Mexico. Many of the roads are in very poor condition. US 285 from Espanola to Taos (for example) was an undulating mess. Other roads to key scenic areas were also in disarray (anyone driven to Chaco?). This isn't to say Colorado doesn't have it's share (of bad roads)....I know most states have issues with road conditions these days.....but proportionately I really came to appreciate our wonderful state all the more. And I'm not trying to gratuitously bash New Mexico. I think you see what you want to see....and there are plenty of nice areas down there. Just consider how many places there are in Colorado yet to be explored by your wheels. :mrgreen:

Dude, I will send some whine with you next time you visit the Land of Enchantment. :?
Sorry you've missed out down there. Some of my favorite fall color photos have come from New Mexico.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

PreviousNext