Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fall Colors (updated to include any year)

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: FALL COLORS.....2011 ONLY, PLEASE (for now)

Postby Birdie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:42 am

The leaves were just beginning to turn on the Henson Creek Road and North Henson Road up to the Matterhorn Creek TH this Labor Day weekend. There wasn’t much, but there were a few branches here and there of Aspen leaves that had turned. They were a beautiful vibrant gold :D , which hopefully is a good sign for the kind of color we’ll get this year, since in year’s past the color has been a bit muted.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:36 pm

Pikes Peak foothills, September 8, 2011

Postby BIKENBEES » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:43 pm

comming from kansas City next weekend (9/23-9/26) just trying to get some info on where we could see some colors, was out there last year about the same time and 550 from Durango north was awsome... will be riding a motorcycle, looking for info on any good routes in sw colorado. \:D/

Postby aegismf » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:39 am

Planning to go to Kebler pass and Ohio Pass on 9/24 weekend.
Any suggestions for a half-day hiking trail in this area? I don't want to spend my whole day just driving.
Thanks!

Postby Jbeers » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:05 am

Try Lost lake and Dollar lake off of Kebler pass. If you go all the way to Dollar Lake it's a couple of miles round trip from the road. Or you can just go to Lost Lake which is probably less than a mile. Not sure if trail goes past Dollar Lake. If I remember right it is a gorgeous area. (I grew up in Paonia but it's been 10 or 15 years since I've been to the lakes; I am stuck in Iowa now). You can find the lakes on a google map, just south of the road, about halfway between Paonia and Crested Butte. Enjoy!

Postby Mark Curtis » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:16 am

aegismf wrote:Planning to go to Kebler pass and Ohio Pass on 9/24 weekend.
Any suggestions for a half-day hiking trail in this area? I don't want to spend my whole day just driving.
Thanks!

Oh my, where would I start??? I guess it depends on how you define "area". If you are referring to adjacent areas, then Crested Butte and vicinity is off the charts. West Maroon Pass Trail from Schofield Pass area is incredible. If you are speaking specifically about the Kebler Pass road itself, there are still plenty of options. If you want an alpine experience you could climb Mt. Owens....the expansive views of the aspen from the summit are mind boggling. If you want a more leisurely hike, then Beckwith Pass is beautiful. Also, Dark Canyon Trail.

One thing though, if you are committed to that weekend then you will still see some incredible sights.....but typically the Kebler Pass aspen peak around the 1st few days of October. That extra week or so can make a big difference!

Postby mr14ner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:22 pm

Recent photos taken in the San Juans.
Attachments
fall foliage5_small.jpg
fall foliage5_small.jpg (339.38 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
fall foliage2_small.jpg
fall foliage2_small.jpg (333.55 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
oak leaves_small.jpg
oak leaves_small.jpg (233.5 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

Postby mr14ner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Few more photos taken in the San Juans.
Attachments
fall foliage6_small.jpg
fall foliage6_small.jpg (299.6 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
fall foliage3_small.jpg
fall foliage3_small.jpg (321.67 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
frosty foliage_small.jpg
frosty foliage_small.jpg (336.16 KiB) Viewed 1945 times

Postby aegismf » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:25 am

@Jbeers and @Mark Curtis, Thanks for you suggestions!

Although I have one more question, from Kebler pass road off to Ohio pass road, I noticed in some trail map, the first section of Ohio pass road(until Beaver Ponds) is marked as "4WD". What is the road condition for this part ? I mean, is it passable for a low clearance sedan?

Postby ajkagy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:35 am

aegismf wrote:@Jbeers and @Mark Curtis, Thanks for you suggestions!

Although I have one more question, from Kebler pass road off to Ohio pass road, I noticed in some trail map, the first section of Ohio pass road(until Beaver Ponds) is marked as "4WD". What is the road condition for this part ? I mean, is it passable for a low clearance sedan?

you will be fine in a passenger car if you drive slow and take it easy, the rough sections are pretty short.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby eastend711 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:20 am

I did Kebler/Ohio in a passenger car last year and exactly none of it made me nervous.

Postby ajkagy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:22 am

the aspens out my window here in the butte are starting to show some hints of color...i'd say in another week they will be looking pretty good
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

PreviousNext