Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Photo of the Month?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Photo of the Month?

Postby Flips » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:55 pm

The Deadly Bells picture is interesting with the concept of the Deadly Bells sign and the floating orbs of spirits of the dead that have been lost on that mountain. Thats kind of creepy......The Spirits of the Bells.

The Bells is my choice.

+1

Great interpretation. =D>

Postby HOCKEYFAN » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:58 pm

Gotta go with 'The Bells' also!!! Looks great in 'b/w'!!! Besides, that was a great 'TR'!!! As always, just MHO!

Postby tommyboy360 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:50 pm

In casting my vote, I will quote some Def Leppard lyrics:
One part love, one part wild
One part lady, one part child
I give you... Women

A whole lotta fire, a little bit of ice
A whole lotta somethin' you can't sacrifice
I give you... Women

The Bells photo is great too but the black & white effect is not making it a stand out among other bells photos we see, including yours. I prefer the color version of this same exact photo in your TR.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:08 pm

Between the two I am going to have to vote for the Belle. The Bells photo is good, don't get me wrong. The thing is, it's a picture of the Bells... seriously, a five year old with an Instamatic could take a photo of the Bells and it'd be a hit. I like what you did with the sign, and the lighting, but I don't think it is enough to win anything special. Plus the sickly aspen tree in the foreground kind of messes up the feel of the "deadly Bells". On the flip side you have a great photo of a beautiful climber in an awesome position contrasted against some really cool rock. The crack running in the middle gives awesome depth and her expression is priceless... nervous, scared, excited... I can't tell. But I look at the photo and as a climber I think I know how she feels. It's a great expression of being human while climbing. I am not sure about the white fad out on the corners but I leave all that to the artist, what do I know? Bottom line is - girl climbing is unique, human and inspiring, the photo of the Bells is nice but... well every year the snow melts early in the Bell Cord Couloir because of the heat from all the camera flashes. Either way, good luck.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:59 am

its_not_a_tuba wrote: I like what you did with the sign, and the lighting, but I don't think it is enough to win anything special. ...Plus the sickly aspen tree in the foreground kind of messes up the feel of the "deadly Bells". ... Either way, good luck.

Thanks - this is an excellent, articulate critique.

Overall, I should say, based on many of the responses, that perhaps I was unclear - it's not a contest actually; it's a learning exercise. It's really cool b/c after a few of these, with critiques and all, you begin to learn some good skills. Still, you try to put your best foot forward with a shot for the given month. This one is due Sept 4.

BTW - catching that sickly aspen - that's something the critiquer's would probably have pointed out, and something I didn't really notice till I started looking at it.

Postby MtHurd » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:07 am

Nice triceps. I'll go with the girl.

Postby Brian C » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:08 am

Girl!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:27 am

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
its_not_a_tuba wrote: I like what you did with the sign, and the lighting, but I don't think it is enough to win anything special. ...Plus the sickly aspen tree in the foreground kind of messes up the feel of the "deadly Bells". ... Either way, good luck.

Thanks - this is an excellent, articulate critique.

Overall, I should say, based on many of the responses, that perhaps I was unclear - it's not a contest actually; it's a learning exercise. It's really cool b/c after a few of these, with critiques and all, you begin to learn some good skills. Still, you try to put your best foot forward with a shot for the given month. This one is due Sept 4.

BTW - catching that sickly aspen - that's something the critiquer's would probably have pointed out, and something I didn't really notice till I started looking at it.

Thanks, I love your all your photos BTW, keep up the great work!
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby speth » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Jim, I like the photo of the girl a lot more than the bells photo.

Bells:
+ Unusual angle for the lighting, usually lit from behind photographer or from left side of the frame
+ Foreboding with light levels and the DEADLY BELLS title, storytelling
- I don't like the angle of the sign; I get what you're going for, but it's too cut off. Maybe if the word "DEADLY" was macro and soft and out of focus with the mountain in the background? I don't know, just tossing out ideas. I know you can't just rip the sign up and place it where ever you want :)
- I'm also not a fan of lens flares...

Girl Climber:
+ You have the focus locked in for the girl, nice soft light on the skin contrasts well with sharp rock.
+ I like the tense feeling of the photo, climber preparing and balancing on the rock
- I don't care for the vignette/post production blur effect.
- A different crop might work better for the lines behind her traveling up the face. I'd like to see where she's coming from and where she's going instead of being locked into move. I think of rock climbing as fluid motion and not just a flexed position. But to be fair, I know next to nothing about rock climbing, just my 2 cents on the subject :lol:
- Foreshortening on the legs

Nice work, cool idea to get people into sharing photos!
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

Postby ClimbandMine » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:56 pm

Here's my take on it, for what it's worth:

The editing on the girl is waay overdone. The white shadowing looks like you just tore the photo... it makes the photo look like you are trying to hide other mistakes. The color desaturation also looks like you are trying to hide an error in exposure. That fake vintage look just is not cool to pro photographers. On a positive, her face is in great focus and she pops from the rock - still the editing isn't cool.

The Bells photo is a better basic photo. The sunflare is OK, but isn't really adding much to the photo - its kind of distracting, especially in the middle. I don't know if you converted this from color in your editing, but it looks like it. In Lightroom and Photoshop there are a few differentt algorithms to pick from in B&W conversion. This photo needs on that provides a lot more pop and contrast. It also needs to be lightened up by a stop or two. Some sharpening could help as well - you can see pixelation in the sky and on the sign.

Hope that helps.
I don't care that you Tele.

Postby TK » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:51 pm

Whiting out the girl's legs makes her look like she's standing on level ground and trying to look tense. I'd vote for the girl if I could see her feet.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby The_Godfather » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Since you are looking for feedback in the critique format...

Girl Pic
-With any given portrait, eyes are the most important. The eyes are not lit up and are hard to see. The focus goes to the brightest part of the photograph, which in this case is the edges. The blur/white to me is somewhat distracting. The desaturation works well for most parts of the picture, but makes her arms appear black to look somewhat unrealistic. There should be a section of rock behind her head for depth within the photograph. I would retouch the elbow a bit (unless the bump is wanted) and her right arm with the shadow below.

The Bells
-The orbs or sun flair, IMHO, are not needed. While its a nice photoshop after affect (or photo tools), its distracting. Maybe that was your plan though. The image itself is flat due to basic black and white conversion. There isn't contrast enough to pop. The bells are somewhat washed out. There is heavy pixilation in this image as well, clearly seen in the sky and sign. If you cannot see it, I would suggest a calibration software for the monitor. A vignette would be excellent and slight gaussian blur to the words of the sign other than the part that reads "deadly bells." Since you are in photoshop, darken the aspens to try to give dept to the image.

I do want to strongly note that you asked for critique and this is what I see. Its not what everyone will see, and may not even be the look you are going for. You do have talents with your images as I have see some nice ones. Be careful with pixeling though, its a killer for sure.

Previous