Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sunrise or Sunset

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Sunrise or Sunset

Postby kimo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:44 am

The sun sets on Glacier Gorge.

Postby Mindy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:46 pm

"The sun sets on Glacier Gorge."

Long's Peak......by sunlight or moonlight its splintered grey crest is the one object which unfailingly arrests the eyes. From it come all storms of snow and wind, and the forked lightenings play around its head like a glory. The thunder becomes its voice, and the lightenings do it homage. Other summits blush under the morning kiss of the sun and turn pale the next moment; but it detains the first sunlight and holds it round its head for an hour at least, till it please to change from rosy red, to deep blue; and the sunset, as if spell-bound, lingers latest on its crest. - Isabella Bird, 1873

Had to be said.

Postby Kane » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Sunrise from the perfect Blue Lake. Name those mountains!

Postby kimo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:12 pm

MindyWoo wrote:Long's Peak......by sunlight or moonlight its splintered grey crest is the one object which unfailingly arrests the eyes. From it come all storms of snow and wind, and the forked lightenings play around its head like a glory. The thunder becomes its voice, and the lightenings do it homage. Other summits blush under the morning kiss of the sun and turn pale the next moment; but it detains the first sunlight and holds it round its head for an hour at least, till it please to change from rosy red, to deep blue; and the sunset, as if spell-bound, lingers latest on its crest. - Isabella Bird, 1873

Whoever said "a picture says a thousand words" doesn't know Isabella Bird and the senses she evokes. I can see the sunset and smell the trembling ozone. Writing is a great art. Sometimes, it needs to be said.

Kane wrote:Sunrise from the perfect Blue Lake. Name those mountains!

I've seen those peaks from far away, but never so close. They look a thousand miles away, like mountains in Alaska or other reaches of the great white north. The pic inspires me to makes airline reservations for a faraway place when in fact I don't need to travel far at all. It's practically in our own backyard. I've seen them only from across the way but someday I'll travel deeper into the Gorge and see those peaks up close. Might even scramble to the top. Nice work Kane.

Postby Mindy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Kane that is a very cool photo. The symmetry of the cracks
in the ice against the reflection of the mountains - very unique. Makes me think of a "grid" some discuss on this site -but literally of course.

Postby geojed » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:55 pm

MP, TA, TM!!!
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby kimo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:23 am

I the early summer of '08, I parked the mountain bike and the jeep and decided to just walk. Lake Isabelle was my first destination. I recall post-holing through the deep snowdrifts across the trail, my shins scraped raw, my feet cold and wet. But the effort didn't deter me. It was this view of Navajo and Apache, seen from the shore of Lake Isabelle, that inspired me to walk further, to go higher. And a week or two later, I reached Mirror Lake on the westside of Indian Peaks. I was done for - hook, line, and sinker - I now had to reach the top. And my first 14er soon followed.

A lake of inspiration, cradled by Niwot Ridge, Navajo Peak, Apache Peak, and Shoshoni Peak.

Postby highpilgrim » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:27 am

Great shot Kimo.

Thanks. Now I have another place that I have to see firsthand. #-o
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby Kane » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:20 pm

Beautiful summer scene, and you had some nice gap light. Nice shot Kimo.

Postby kimo » Thu May 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Kane wrote:Beautiful summer scene, and you had some nice gap light. Nice shot Kimo.

I lucked out on that one. I had just bought my little 35mm f1.8 dx lens the night before. That's one of my first pics with it. I think it's shot wide open at f1.8 so it's little fuzzy all around. Might have been with my modest little D40 too. But definitely right place at right time. Thanks, Kane!

Here's a sunset on Longs taken a few weeks ago from just below the summit of East Glacier Knob looking into Glacier Gorge.

Postby upndown » Thu May 17, 2012 10:28 pm

Kane, You have a gift for this. Run with it if you can.
Dreams don't care if you are happy. They only care that they have been lived.

Postby djkest » Fri May 18, 2012 6:24 am

Sunrise. Because I'm never high on a mountain for a sunset.
(photo courtesty of Monster5)

Sunrise on Pikes Peak

Sunrise on Uncompahgre

Sunrise on La Plata Peak - Huron visible

Sunrise on Castle Peak
Last edited by djkest on Wed May 30, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

PreviousNext